Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
Grab a core from your local salvage yard for $150-250. Then take it to your local machine shop. The shop that I use (which is an excellent shop) charges $632 to reman a shortblock and just over $800 for a longblock. That's with cast pistons and a stock cam, but hypereutectics are something like $30 more. You can buy your own cam as well. The stock cam costs something like $34, so they subtract $34 from the build and you buy whatever stick you want for about $120.

So, doing my math on the worst case scenario, lets say $250 for the core, $850 for the reman, $30 for better pistons, $100 for specific cam; that's $1230 plus tax. If you're "smart" you'll buy a vortec core that comes with the good heads. You'll spend more on the core and a few extra bucks on the build, but $1300-1400 should get the job done and get you 350 hp easy. Otherwise you might get terrible smog heads and end up with 250 hp. Starting with a vortec could basically mean 100 hp for $100 extra bucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
LXZ590 said:
Looking to buy a reman or rebuilt or even new 350 sbc for my camaro. I am trying to get it for around 1100 to 1500. Does anyone know where I could pic one up.
Our local napa or shucks has them in that area of pricing..do you have the access to the on base auto shop?? someone there could give you a hand..There is one at Ft. Lewis I know off..dunno about where you are at..

Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.