Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a place, that could sell me '57 Fairlane 500 town sedan windshield and/or rear glass.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The largest purveyor of automotive glass is Binswanger. If there is a stock of new windshields(possible) or backglass(unlikely) for your 57 Ford sedan, they can probably help you out.

If not, you're looking at junkyards or swap meets.

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any more ideas? I'm waiting for a reply from the Binswanger.

Is there a difference between windshields on different models, same year?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
udu56 said:
Is there a difference between windshields on different models, same year?
Yes. The FAIRLANE 500 Series (large body) and CUSTOM Series are different as most everything else except the front clip (sheet metal).

I found a source of glass a few years ago and lost it, it was in Ohio. Side glass is no problem as it is offered repro.

Attachments

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
KULTULZ said:
The FAIRLANE 500 Series (large body) and CUSTOM Series (smaller body) are different (windshields-front and rear) as is most everything else (different bodys) except the front clip (sheet metal).

I found a source of glass a few years ago and lost it, it was in Ohio. Side glass is no problem as it is offered repro (the side glass vendor I found is quality. Perfect bevel, factory tint (if desired) and the logo etched onto the glass) .

RECENT PM

Re: '57 glass

Originally Posted by udu56

As I really need that windshield for the Ford, then maybe you can find out where did you get yours? I have asked about 30 places all over US, that might be having it, but no luck this far.
I have not forgotten you. I had the source of vintage glass just a few years ago and have lost it. I will keep searching.

Meanwhile, look over -THIS WEBSITE- as it will give you additional sources of restoration parts.

Attachments

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KULTULZ said:
Meanwhile, look over -THIS WEBSITE- as it will give you additional sources of restoration parts.
Yes, I have found the site, and asked from All the places mentioned there.

Could the place in Ohio be in Columbus, Pilkington Classics ?

They are first place to say they have it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to ship it.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
udu56 said:
Could the place in Ohio be in Columbus, Pilkington Classics ?

They are first place to say they have it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to ship it.
I found what I believe was the vendor (this was a few years ago and please note my age);

GLASS SEARCH
COLUMBUS, OH
(800) 848-1351

I do not know if they are still active.

The place you found, is this new glass or NOS? If new, it should be contained in a shipping box and routed truck freight.

URL Added For Information-

-Pilkington Classics-Automotive Glass-

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Number you gave, matches the one on Pilkington site.
I believe it is new glass, they gave me two options of tinting too.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
poncho62 said:
Isn't ot part of the Old Soviet union........??

As in...Estonia?
Sounds like it is in Scandinavia, doesn't it? :D

If it is over the pond, I have a suggestion as to how to keep the freight rates down.

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it is officially named Estonia, it was in Soviet union until '91, and it is next to scandinavian countries.
Any suggestions about transportation is welcome.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Any suggestions about transportation is welcome.
On another board I participate in, the forum owner (correct term?) lives near Berlin. What small items he needs he has found USPS Ground to be the cheapest method. For something as large as a windscreen, his suggestion was to find someone nearby (say a speed or auto parts house that imports regularly) and inquire about having the item included in his container.

·
'57 Fairlane
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KULTULZ said:
To find someone nearby (say a speed or auto parts house that imports regularly) and inquire about having the item included in his container.
That's the way I'm going to go, there are some guys transporting automotive stuff here. But they are located on the coasts of US. In Florida, Oregon and somewhere in north-east. But Ohio is not quite near to any of these, so at least one shipping to coast has to be arranged with selling company.

And if anyone is having front sheetmetal parts, then I'm interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts