Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys where can you get custom glass made? If I chop a top down, does a regular glass shop trim up my old factory glass, or is that too brittle and old? I have never tried such a thing, and am really starting to wonder about it.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

With over a dozen views and no replies......here's my take on it.

I have helped cut glass before............with a sand blaster. We taped off what we wanted to save and sand blasted away what we did not.

Sometimes you can just buy a new glass that can work.......example .......we chopped a 56 2 door sedan and bought a new 56 Ford 2 door hardtop windshield.it is a little over 2 inches shorter. SO we chopped the top to fit the new glass.

:D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Flat glass can be cut to fit. As Deuce says, finding a shorter windshield to fit and working the project around the glass to make it fit may be less costly. Some of the old timers would use back glass out of a donor car, not exactly a great idea, but works for show cars. I've seen a few where the glass has been sunk into the cowl to make it fit. If you're working on a rare type of vehicle where glass is costly, hard to find, you may want to try these options. A friend went through 5 windshields on a 56 Ford p.u. trying to sandblast cut before he succeeded, I would venture a guess on how skillful the cutter is as to how successful and cost effective the job will be. Good luck. Dan

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you could say what type/make -year of vehicle, it would be helpful- I cut my Henry J 4 and a half inches and had all the glass (flat) cut at the local shop here. You can also 'sink' the glass in the firewall for a curved windshield as the top comes down. Many options, but as stated cutting a curved windshield takes tons of talent and time and most can't get it right on the first try...

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
when your planning your top chop the fitting of the glass should be a major consideration, look it over good to see the simplest way to go about it it could determine where you are going to make your cuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.