Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1988 Honda Accord. It is nothing special. It is a complete project. I am 16 and have no experience with engines, which is why I purchased this car. To get some under my belt. It has been sitting for 2 years not garaged or covered. It will not start for anything. Any suggestions on what the first couple things i should do might be? Your info would be very helpful. Thank you,
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I assume the engine cranks but doesn't fire. If not, you need to trace the electrical problem - check the battery, check the ground, check the terminals on the battery for corrosion, check the cable attachment on the other end, check that there is voltage at the starter solenoid from the wire from the ignition switch, check that starting voltage is passed thru the solenoid, check the starter motor.

If it cranks but doesn't fire, that is a classic problem and just requires some detective work. Most obvious things to check are spark and fuel. Both go bad when sitting idle for long periods. Pull a spark plug cable, stick a screwdriver in the cable, hold the metal blade of the screwdriver about 1/8" away from a good ground and crank the engine. If you see a blue spark, that system is likely OK. Next take off the air cleaner and pump the throttle and check that the accelerator pump is squirting gas into the carb. If not, it could be a bad fuel pump, plugged fuel line or tank filter sock, or bad needle and seat in the carb. Another common fuel problem is a bad needle and seat that allows gasoline to pump in mass quantities thru the carb into the engine but that is usually easy to detect from gasoline oozing out of everywhere.

Do these checks and get back to us.

·
Duck Tape & WD 40
278 Posts
me and mike (new_at_this) are going to strip the interior of the car sunday night. Is there anything that we should know before we do this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take that gas tank down and drain and clean it. After 2 years I doubt that gas is any good.

If the engine looks like it's never had a tune up then you need to do that 1st. New plugs, rotor, cap, air filter, fuel filter, check the belts and hoses, drain the radiator fluid out and flush it, rebuild the carb if necessary.

Do you know if the engine runs or not?

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Look through all parts small spaces and hoses such as air filter for any nest from any kind of creature that might have made a nice hotel out of the car. The smell of a family of mice dieing is never good lol. Other then that once the car starts check around for leaks. It would be a good idea to clean up the car really well around the engine that way when you start it you can see any new leaks quickly and can track them down right away. Thats a start at least. Good luck!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts