Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at work. I heard about the first plane crash on the radio. It sounded like an awful tragedy. But I didn't think it would change all of our lives forever. I thought about that plane, many years ago, possibly during WWII, that had crashed into the Empire State Building.

I kept working.

But when I heard about the second plane crash, I knew. I think we all knew then....

I was in shock that day and probably for at least a week. The night of 911 I remember reading these verses to my family:

Revelation 18

Alas, alas that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

11 And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

12 The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

14 And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all.

15 The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing,

16 And saying, Alas, alas that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!

17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,

18 And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!

19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

Where were you and what do you remember from that day?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was eating lunch at high school when people started saying we were going to get nuked and that Iraq had blown up the world trade center (keep in mind these were just rumours at the time) My next period teacher had told us that there were planes struck the wtc, but our school would not let us watch anything on TV and tried to cover up the incident that it didn't happen. God be with anyone who lost family members on this day.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I had just gotten home from work,walked out to get the paper,the lady across the street yelled that a plane had crashed into the WTC.I went in laid down in bed,tuned in,then shortly thereafter the footage showed the 2nd plane coming in.My wife and I just watched it all unfold.My kids were in school.I went and picked them up,we needed to be togather,besides I would rather be the one to explain what had happened to my own kids.I trust the teachers but I dod not want any cross views.We came home and watched the television togather,the rest of the day.Hard to believe but one guy at work that night had no idea what I was talking about when we got in.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
I was on my way to work at a packing shed to inspect some apples, listening to the Mark and Brian show on the radio, when they started talking of this. They have the spoofs of different scenarios, I thought that this time they had gone way too far when they broke in with an affiliated newscaster. Shock, anger, disbelief, fear, all running through my head. We should never forget this tragedy. Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had just finished working at 6:00 AM that day and was at home asleep. I woke up to the phone ringing. I called my parents to tell them that I was fine, I packed a bag, and asked my neighbor to watch the house as I had no idea when I would be coming home.

I spent the next three nights patroling Washington, DC and it was spooky. There was no one on the streets except us cops and the National Guard. I went to the Pentagon the night of the 12th, and it was still smoking. A sight that had to be seen. It can not be explained.

Although the our New York office was destroyed, almost everyone got out. We lost Master Special Officer Craig Miller. He was last seen in the hotel that used to sit in between the two towers. Rest in peace, Craig.

·
axes wayy too many questions
311 Posts
I didnt hear about it until 7th period at about 2:00. All I heard that there was a terrorist attack in New York and Philedelphia. I didnt know what or how it happened, but I did know that the teachers didnt like the jokes that were being told about it. Many detentions were handed out that day.

Alex

·
I'm lookin' to learn.
92 Posts
I was in class at the University. Just a normal regular day. Then one of the ladies in my class, her cell phone rings and she runs from the room. A few of the female students followed her into the hallway and found her in tears. It was her husband on the phone and he had informed her about the World Trade center crash (#1). Being part of the military, his base here in Canada was put on high alert and he was given orders that nobody would be leaving the base till further notice and that deployment could commence at any time if necessary. Once the Instructor found out what had happened all classes were cancelled and students asked to go to their homes.

It was only when I got home and tuned in to news that I understood the events that were happening. I arrived home to the stunning news of a second plane hitting tower#2 just minutes before I walked in the door. I sat in sheer horror and shock in front of the TV for the whole day. Needless to say I cried and prayed for the victims and their families as the events unfolded. It all just seemed so unreal...unfortunately my wanting it to be so was not the case and an unmeasurable loss was suffered by the American people and the world.

One of the things that will forever be etched in my mind was the individuals that either fell or jumped from the towers to avoid the smoke and flames and fell to their deaths out of desperation and fear.

"Tragic" is such an understatement to describe what occured on that fatefull day as the whole climate of the world changed in a few hours. So many lives ended, so many lives destroyed, and now so much fear in the world.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Workin the line at FO MO CO in Avon Ohio

We have radio's on and heard when the first plane hit then the second hit and they sent us home from work.....nobody was stayin on their jobs they were listening to the radio. I listened to Howard Stern and then the local news.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
At work. heard about the first one on the radio. pulled out the tv, hooked it up, then about ten minutes later, we watched the second plane impact.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I was working, headed to Linn MO driving down hiway 30 south of Cedar Hill when I heard about it on the radio... listened to it unfold all the way there & back. caught a little tv footage on the way there at a gas station.

·
Banned
431 Posts
i was at work.
the boss called me in and said "look at this sh!t. some effin ******* flew a plane into a building".
we stood there watching it trying to figure out how something like that could happen, and then out of no where here comes the second plane and it smashes into the other building.
i think that i freaked out the old lady that was waiting for her car when i screamed "HOLY SH!T!!! WHAT THE F*CK?"
it still amazes me thinking back on it, watching that plane fly into that building.
it reminds me that i'm not invincible, and that one day the very same thing could happen to me or anyone else for that matter.
and there is always the question of "why?"
who were the people that were killed in those buildings?
they were people just like you and me just trying to make a living and were killed by a bunch of pieces of sh!t for no reason what so ever.
makes me wonder why everyone hates Bush so much. is it because he is not a coward that ran and hid in a corner? is it because he is trying to get rid of all of these pieces of sh!t that did this to our great country?

oh how soon we forget.........

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had gotten a late start working on the 10th
i had to drive a load of cars down to manhiem pa.
i think it was around 4:00 a.m. on the 11th i was
driving north on I-95 in New Jersey when i pointed
to my wife the twin towers.

i look at then every day i drive up & down the
Jersey turnpike. I love to see them and at night
the city skyline is so cool to see
I parked my tractor around 6:45 a.m. went home to
go to bed my wife went to work (must be nice to sleep on road trips)
She called me at home at 10:00 to tell me the news.
I sat in the end of my bed and watched the second plane
hit the towers.......

i felt a pain in my whole body as the new's played the two
planes hitting over and over

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was six months pregnant, and I was at home, watching things unfold on TV. In the late afternoon, my husband decided we needed to go for a drive, just to get away..........nothing seemed real. Anyhow, we passed a gas station where 87 octane was $1.59/gal. When we passed it again 15 minutes later, all grades were $4.00/gal.

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
I was sleeping in my dorm before class. I woke up the man on my alarm clock describing what was happening, the news never sank in, i thought it was just some talk show. Then my phone rang and my mom started fussing at me " You are not going to sign up for the military because of this!!!" Of course, my response was "Because of what, what are you talking about?" I then turned on the tv and sat there in shock and disbelief. Later that day, I decided to spend the rest of the day with all of my friends who all happened to be in La Tech's AFROTC. We didn't say much, we were all the family we had while at school.

A day I will never forget.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I first heard of the attack as i was walking out the door to go to school. my older brother had just called and told me to turn on the t.v. I wish i could but il never forget what i saw on the news that day. so i missed my first two periods of school to watch this thing unfold. I was, (just like most people that had heard) shocked all that day. Then a few days later the WORST picture came out in the newspaper. it showed an "up close" of two men that were on fire falling out of one of the upper most floors! that made me sick to my stomach.

-Aaron-

·
ya just need a bigger hammer
46 Posts
I was wiring a new house while the owners argued with city officials about zoning for their camels to graze in the yard!No joke they were Iraqi!I stopped working and listened to the raido and after the second plane hit I went to be with my family.HBO has a documentary showing right now and it will bring tears to the strongest of eyes.
I found this picture explaining why we are over there.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was on a camping trip in northern Ontario that took us five days in the bush, and five days out. It was weird not hearing or seeing any planes flying overhead the night of the 11th or any day thereafter. It was very haunting because we hadn't seen anyone for a couple of days and you usually see at least a couple of people per day. Not having any signs of civilization like planes, when you expect to hear them, is very isolating. When we got out, a local guy told us that world war three is about to start. He said that New York city was attacked and thousands were killed. I didn't believe him at first, but then I remembered the planes, or lack thereof. We didn't get a radio signal in the Jimmy and were still an hour out of radio range. It was very confusing in that hour until we started to hear what happened on CBC radio.
All I remember of the 11th is deep isolation at a campfire in the middle of nowhere and the eerie feeling that something was very wrong.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
9-11

Me and my wife were on vacation with another couple. My buddy's wife came over and knocked on our door and told us to turn the tv on. We watched the second plane Hit and all the aftermath involved....

It's a really strange feeling to be 600 miles away from home during a event like this.

Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts