Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to statrt my project this winter - building up a 383. Do you think I should go with a new Bow tie block ($apporx $400) or should I look for a used 350 block? Cost is not really an issue, however I do not want to spend $2k on a dart block either.

Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
350 block

:thumbup:

I used a seasoned 350 4-bolt main truck block. I built it for towing , and it produces 435 lbs. feet of torque. Been running for three years trouble free.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
How wild are you going to build this engine? A production (wrecking yard) block is more than good enough for a mild build. I wouldn't hesitate to use one if you can find a good core. As Eric said they are getting a little harder to find. I went through 4 blocks before I found the one I am running now.

A bow tie block is an excellent option if you can get one for $400.

If I had it to do over again I would have went with an aftermarket block, only because I am really pushing the limits of a production block. By the time I had the block splayed, line honed, decked, fluxed, cleaned and the rest of the machine work I was probably about half to 3/4 the price of an aftermarket block.

The rebuild aspects that Eric mentioned is also a very good point. I am at the point that I am out of rebuilds, so all he money I have invested in this block over the years is going to be gone when I blow it up (notice I said WHEN not IF).

Bottom line is how much power are you going to make? What will the car/engine be used for? (racing, street driving, towing).

For anything up to about 475HP I would use a production block no doubt, for 500HP I would start thinking about a Bow Tie block, about 550HP and up I would go with an aftermarket block

Royce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.