Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am switching a 57 Buick to power front disc brakes.This car has power drum brakes now but the old style booster isn't that good.I have brackets to adapt late60's to early 70's Impala size calipers to my axle stubs using chevy pickup rotors to keep my 5on5 bolt pattern. Checked the knowledge base but that hasn't cleared up some questions regarding the booster/m.c./ proportion valve. This is a heavy car so I assume I should find the booster/m.c./prop. valve out of something that is also big. What should I look for? I have an 82 Caprice that has an m.c. with a plastic resevoir designed to tilt back to be level--- no good----...Could I use the prop. valve off of this car with another old style m.c. with the metal top that is designed for a flat firewall?Also there are a lot of posts that say to get a corvette m.c.? What is better about them than one off of say a 85 3/4 ton pickup that needs alot off brake capacity because of its load capacity?I thought corvettes were 4 wheel disc and most threads say you need to find a disc / drum m.c. for this type of upgrade. I have aready contacted mpbrakes but didn't get any clear direction. Hope sombody can point me in the right direction. Thanks Jim.

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
If you are using the Impala rotors and calipers, I would say go with the same on the master cylinder. Also use the proportioning valve from the same.

The vette MC is set up for disk/disk. You could use one, but you would want an adjutable proportioning valve to set it up properly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.