Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for my 62 Pontiac(around 3600 lbs). The engine is a 350(first gen) with all the bells and whistles to produce around 400 HP(before nitrous, which I may install at a latter date). The tranny is a close ratio M21. The posi diff will house 3.73 or 3.90 gears. I have checked out the sites for the following mfrs: Hays, RAM, McCleod and Centerforce. Am I missing any? I have not checked out Zoom but I saw them in my Summit catalog last night. I know this is a subjective question, but has anyone had good or bad experiences with these or any others. Which brand/type would you recommend? Also, what are the pros and cons about the different styles of pressure plates, such as diaphram, B&B and long style. What about dual discs vs single disc clutches? Thanks.

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
I have used Mcleod, Hays and Centerforce clutches. I use a few Mcleod's and helped install a few of them. Sold a buch too. The tech support was always good too.

I currently have the stage II dual friction centerforce in my S truck. Lightest pedal I have ever felt. I can still get it to bark the tires after 127K miles.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I'm using a Hayes 11" diaphram in the 59 Elky
Also have one in my 79 Chev 1/2 ton---easy pedal on both.
The clutch in the 79 (w/454) has been in there for well over 10 years, mostly towing a trailer (started to chatter a lil bit when backing with the trailer loaded last year---bout time ;) )

Bryan

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I prefer diaphram with the centrifugal weights, with a disc designed for the driving I am doing. I hate chatter and rough engagement. Once in a while it smells but it still keeps going and going. Ford 5.0 HO with T-5.

Improper parts makes people slip the clutches to smooth the engagement. Also lots of pseudo racers run too light of a flywheel on the street and then complain about the clutch not engaging like they think it should or even inconsistent bogging/ spinning on the start line.

Pick your own brand loyalty. You can find good and bad stories about all of them. The most important thing is proper installation, something most people ignore. :rolleyes:

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
mrl said:
I am little biased towards Centerforce right now. Do you have the Centerforce II or the dual friction? I believe they are different. The tech at Zoom proposed their Kevlar disc:

http://www.zoomclutch.com/hp_series.html

I wonder how good they are?
It is a stage II pressure plate with the dual friction disk. today it can be bought as a single part number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.