Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. I'm having a hard time making up my mind and would like some opinions. I've got a 79 silverado with a wore out 305.
2 of my friends have 305s for sale cheap$. The one I can get for 100$ is out of a stock 85 Chevy short bed 2wd and is stock with 80k miles. That is unless the odometer hasn't rolled over. It is carb to oil pan dizzy included.

My other choice is 200$ and its out of an 82 elcamino with Maybe 120k on it but it has a new "rv" cam, lifters, water pump, and double roller timing chain. Comes with engine stand. It's just the long block tho.

I know most of you are thinking just get a 350. But those can't be found ready to run for 1 or 2 hundred$ and this is just a work truck/ back up vehicle.
All advices, thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

·
The mobile view is crap
1,876 Posts
Have you checked compression on your current engine? Have you checked fuel pressure and timing? Maybe your wore out engine just needs a new fuel filter or something.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
why did the one engine get a new "rv" cam? did the old cam fail?If it ate a cam,buy the other engine and while its on the stand,clean/gasket and timing chain it before installation(paint it).Put an "rv" cam in it if you want an "rv" cam.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I'd wait for at least a newer 305 if not a 350. Either one would probably do fine for a daily drive though. If you really just need a running engine and nothing more- then buying the complete engine is the cheap way out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked compression on your current engine? Have you checked fuel pressure and timing? Maybe your wore out engine just needs a new fuel filter or something.
It's definitely wore out. It's the origional engine and the truck has been in the family since it was new and I know the OD has rolled over at least a couple of times. A friend of mine borrowed it and finished it off :(
I wish it were something as simple as a tune up or filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why did the one engine get a new "rv" cam? did the old cam fail?If it ate a cam,buy the other engine and while its on the stand,clean/gasket and timing chain it before installation(paint it).Put an "rv" cam in it if you want an "rv" cam.
The motor that got the cam.. got it just for more power. My friends dad had it done by a shop for that 82 but he ended up selling the car to a friend that already had a motor.
I'm less afraid of this motor being bad but, Im kinda worried that "rv" cam is going to make my truck not pull as good.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The "RV" cam should help low end torque for towing not hurt it. I would probably get the one with 80k on it and change the timing chain if it has not been done before

1 - 10 of 10 Posts