Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know I have repeatedly said I would NEVER put a SBC in any car I built. Technically I am not now since I am building a '59 el Camino for/with my grandson and HE is putting in a 307.

I tried to buy a flex plate on ebaY and the guy says I need to tell him if I need a 153? or 168? tooth plate. That sounds ignorant to me that Government Motors would put different plate in virtually identical engines but so be it. Early hemis only need one part #.

How do I tell which I need? Is it a function of what starter is used?

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
It is a function of what starter is used. If the starter bolt pattern is straight acrossed the nose, it uses the smaller flexplate/flywheel. If the starter pattern is diagonal acrossed the nose, it uses the bigger flexplate/flywheel.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
the smaller 153 flex plate is nice if the engine/trans compartment is a tight fit. Old V8 nova's used them for this reason. 70's and early 80's tend to be 168, then gm went back to the 158 in the late 80's and 90's.

also be aware that there are two different torque converter mounting hole patterns used.

furthermore, later model 153 tooth fit don't fit the old cranks very well as later model 153 tooth doesn't have enough room for the offset weight on the two piece seal crank. It bents the later model flex plate when you bolt it to the older cranks

old el camino's are on the small side. so I would use a 153 tooth for 1966 v8 nova with a starter to match (straight across both pattern). Get the flexplate that has both torque converter patterns to make sure it fits the converter. A TCI flexplate from summit racing will be your best bet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
starter

Look at your block and make sure it is drilled for either starter. Some of these came with only two holes. Also found some with the third hole drilled but not tapped. They can be drilled and tapped, but it is a lot easier when engine is upside down on engine stand.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Hey----I got one of those for a 153 tooth
Was on my 66 PG which has since been replaced with a trans that needs a clutch pedal

(Actually----I think it is new-----bought it and then put in the TKO

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bryan59EC said:
Hey----I got one of those for a 153 tooth
Was on my 66 PG which has since been replaced with a trans that needs a clutch pedal

(Actually----I think it is new-----bought it and then put in the TKO

Well, send 'er on over!! It's amazing but I think I am out of things to beg you for!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.