Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'd Rather Be Blown
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 67 Camaro. mostly for street... mabie a little track....it has a zz3 350 crate motor. M22 trans and a Pontiac 8.2 posi Diff with 3.73 . the clutch is fading fast. it has a GM 14088646 fly wheel (10.5) i think... with a 10.4 plate and disk. i want to upgrade to a center force 3 duel friction in 11". the center force fly wheel is 36.3 lbs the GM 10.5 is only 16 lbs.
my questions are this..... is lighter better??? will I notice a difference????...is it worth looking for a lighter fly wheel??

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
In a street car light is better. Heavy flywheels store energy. Very good for big sticky tires and sticky surface, but will destroy a set of street tires on your average road surface. Great for burnouts! but with a street gear in the rear. The heavy wheel will take more time to recover the revs and a light wheel will pass you up..

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
theres no reason with modern clutch materials, to use an 11" clutch. Go with a quality, light weight steel flywheel and a 10.4" same as you had if possible. I personally prefer Hays, McLeod and Ram to CF. However, a LOT of my customers just go with a Luk 'Rep-Set'. Its an OEM clutch and perfectly acceptable for a 360hp street ride. Its also cheap and available at Napa.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You might have a problem if you switch to a bigger flywheel. You might also have to change the bellhousing if you don't already have the big bellhousing. Your engine will rev quicker with the lite weight flywheel. They used the lite weight flywheels on Corvettes and F body cars. As far as I know they don't sell a billet lite weight flywheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts