Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay building a big block chevy with Brodix heads and a hydraulic roller. looked at comp cams #854-16 high energy lifters but they have bad reviews on summit. Next were the Howards cams #91167 street series lifters and they have bad reviews on summit. Third I looked at Lunati #72331-16 street performance lifters and they only had two reviews but both good. I realize reviews need to be read with skepticism so I am asking you people what has worked for you? The cam has 229/235 duration @0.050" and 0.589"/0.601" lift. The springs in the Brodix heads have about 150# seat and 360# open pressures. I can't afford 800 dollar on up lifters so I'd like to see if any of you run the ones I mentioned above with any luck as they all are under 500 bucks. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I myself have been through the same things with lifters and reading the reviews and all I know is there are only a few companies who make lifters left in the United States and most of the are made in Mexico and or the higher up ones are U.S. assembled and made. There are very cheapo Chinese ones that are out there but don't know how to know them.

As far as the Comp Cam lifters I have heard that they have had issues on the tolerances on the inside of the lifters not being within spec and some of the lifters would hand up and the plunger would get stuck and that was on hydraulic lifters obviously but on the Howards brand lifters they are made by a company called Morel and I have only used the Howard brand lifters after hearing to many negative ones about comp cams. I used the oem small block chevy GM hydraulic lifters that are made in Mexico with no issues what so ever in the past ten years and I have used the Howards oem hydraullic roller lifters in my builds as well and they have always worked excellent for me.

In my current build I have a set of Howards which is made by Morel hydraulic lifters with the retainer bars on them and unfortunately I paid the $800 bucks for these ones but honestly I have used there oem roller lifters that are just a little over $225 the last time I saw the price but that was about five years ago and they worked good on my old 350.

I think the Lunati lifters are made by Morel as well. There are only about I think three or four companies at the most. There is Morel and Delphi and Johnson and another Johnson company and that has nothing to do with the other Johnson one that makes the lifters and some of the cheaper ones are made in Mexico and assembled in the U.S. Which ones I can't say for sure as that is all the information I know of at the moment and I could be wrong on a few things.

One important thing is to have the lifter bores checked along the size of the lifter as some of the lifters being made out there are a little bit either to big or to small and throw off what the proper clearance range should be for the lifter. On my Dart SHP block the lifter bores were on the tighter side as that is how they make them as I have heard that some Comp Cam lifters were on the looser side of the spectrum to make them to loose in the bore and some folks have went with the GM brand over Comp cam

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmm
I am currently building an ls and was considering going with Johnson lifters instead of factory ls7. So how do I know which ones are the better ones ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
More for Less Racer
19,505 Posts
Johnson are the good ones...HyLift/Johnson are the crap ones.

Isky uses Johnson, I believe Bullet Cams does also.

Another good name that hasn't been mentioned yet is Gaterman.....but I'm not sure who sells them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Eric, I figured you would be the one to answer and I know your advice is as solid as it gets. Stay well.
Tim

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Hmm
I am currently building an ls and was considering going with Johnson lifters instead of factory ls7. So how do I know which ones are the better ones ?

Call Johnson - they are very easy to talk to to and will treat you well. I’ve contacted 3 times and have no issues with them.

For an LS I’d use a Johnson.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Another good name that hasn't been mentioned yet is Gaterman.....but I'm not sure who sells them.
Eric, I just looked at Johnson lifters and at $625.00 they're a little expensive but I think they might just be what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I can confirm that the Comp Cams retro rollers suck. Never know on startup if it will take 5 or 10 minutes for some of them to pump up. could be longer yet. When really hot they sound like solid lifters (which sound cool but can't be good).
Edited: I don't know why I wrote Holley instead of Comp? Old age?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can confirm that the Holley's suck. Never know on startup if it will take 5 or 10 minutes for some of them to pump up. could be longer yet. When really hot they sound like solid lifters (which sound cool but can't be good).
Good to know. There seems to be a real problem with hydraulic roller lifters these days. I can't help but wonder if some of it isn't from exceeding spring pressures the lifters were designed for? Idk. The Howards and comp lifters I looked at on Summit had some pretty terrible reviews so who knows? Some of the pictures of the Howards lifters showed some bluing around the axle area which is why I wondered about the spring pressures.

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
I think your right about spring pressures to which I’ll add weight of stainless roller rockers, thick wall push rods, running high lift rockers, etc. All of these things either add dynamic mass or increase leverage forces which at the end of day are back on the load between the contact points of lifter to cam lobe whether that is flat or roller.

In the case of dying out the crankcase with wind age trays and subordinate type equipment while needed to keep feeding oil to the pump and reducing parasitic power losses. But there is a backside to this in that the the lifters and lobes are highly dependent on oil splash off the crank assembly for lubrication and cooling. So other arrangements need to be made to lubricate this area . To that end you may have to live with certain parasitic losses
Bogie

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I think your right about spring pressures to which I’ll add weight of stainless roller rockers, thick wall push rods, running high lift rockers, etc. All of these things either add dynamic mass or increase leverage forces which at the end of day are back on the load between the contact points of lifter to cam lobe whether that is flat or roller.
In my case the springs are just about borderline for the roller lifters. The tapping loud on startup that can last a couple minutes at high idle and the ticking when really hot I don't think could be attributed to any of that weight since I'm talking fast idle and low idle. At higher RPM's, yes for certain all that extra weight comes into play, but I don't think it would be at idle. If the mass of everything was giving problems at idle, god knows what would happen at 5 or 6K.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Good to know. There seems to be a real problem with hydraulic roller lifters these days. I can't help but wonder if some of it isn't from exceeding spring pressures the lifters were designed for? Idk. The Howards and comp lifters I looked at on Summit had some pretty terrible reviews so who knows? Some of the pictures of the Howards lifters showed some bluing around the axle area which is why I wondered about the spring pressures.
In my post above that was quoted, I edited it, I have no idea why I wrote Holley instead of Comp. Blame it on the turkey?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was reading on another site and Morels were not highly looked upon- noise complaints galore. Straubb got roasted a little bit for pushing them. The masses said Johnson and Gaterman were the go to brands. Howards HRC91161 max effort lifters are said to be Gatermans and Trickflow hydraulic rollers say Gaterman right on them I believe. There were several people who had switched to the Howards max efforts and were happy with them. Even better they are under $500 bucks.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I can tell you that there is not really any difference with the ticking noise that I have had with the different brand lifters over the years. I had a 350 with GM Delphi oem lifters on my first build back in late 09 and that was my first setup using an oem setup with the spider tray and one piece rear main seal.

I owned two s10's at the time. My 86 chevy s10 had a very old set up Crane cams retrofit hydraulic link bar roller lifters and aluminum full roller lifters from Crane as well. It was there energizer series. That was with a factory block and it was pretty quiet to anything that is current. The lifters from Crane I got back in 2006 when Crane still had a lot of stuff American made etc.

The roller cam I had in that engine was a lunati voodoo cam so a fast ramp rate style. It was quieter then my newer stuff. On my 96 chevy s10 which is the only one I have now the oem roller setup with the GM lifters I thought something was wrong with them as it made a lot of nosie compared to my other truck and I thought maybe something was wrong. I had used full roller rocker arms with aluminum valve covers on it and also a lunati voodoo cam. I took my intake off and swapped them out to a set of Howards oem roller lifters and they were made by morel and there was no difference in the sound of the racket it made so I thought is this normal then.

After doing a lot research and stuff these newer faster ramp rate cams along with running full roller rocker arms with aluminum valve covers seem to be the norm to sound like a sewing machine and I am running dual springs with a 1.437 estimate size with around 130 or slightly more seat pressure and I believe around 360 or slightly more open pressure and I have not noticed any difference even when I changed over to Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum chromemoly rocker arms.

I have a lot of noise with the Howards lifters in my truck but I don't worry about it as they work excellent and were very nice when I took them out of the box and never any problems and I don't know if the other brand lifters will be quieter or not as I have read some people changed lifters to another brand and still no difference.

I have heard some just plane stock 350 engines with the Delphi lifters and they has put in a comp extreme energy roller cam with proper springs etc and they had the same sewing machine sound and I have watched youtube videos and heard the ticking sound. I guess it just depend on certain things but some people seem to think its way louder then what others think it is.

I just go with it and let it do its job and so far after a few years I have no complaints with my Howards aka Morel lifters and when I had a smaller cam stuck in a year and a half ago the lifters looked excellent and it never has any issues with taking time to pump up when starting up. Once the engine is nice and warm it quiets down some and is not that bad. For my experience I have had the same amount of clatter with GM and Howards aka Morel lifters branded numbers and with different rocker arm material and regardless of running steel or aluminum valve covers they have always sounded like a sewing machine and right springs were used and clearances in lifter bores were checked.

GM lifters I used were the ones used in the LS series motors.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well, I can testify to the noisy Morels. I just installed a set of Morel 5372 retro tie bar hyd. rollers in my 355. One lifter is noisy on start up. Mostly goes away after warm up, but not quite.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I can testify to the noisy Morels. I just installed a set of Morel 5372 retro tie bar hyd. rollers in my 355. One lifter is noisy on start up. Mostly goes away after warm up, but not quite.
Yeah, this is becoming a real common problem with the morels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts