Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for a street motor chevy small block with a comp cams 280H cam 10:1 compression, would you reccomend a weiand x-cellerator intake or a holley street dominator? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
x-cellerator, the highrise one, ive used it with cams around 230 duration at .050. just be sure and not use the separator plate that comes with it.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well right now i have the weiand on my truck and i really dont like it but i've got a guy that will trade me the dual plane holley for my single plane weiand.. i was wondering if that was a good deal.....

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Dual plane would be better unless your spending a lot of time way up in the rpm range. That is probably why your not to happy with the weiand intake you have now. It lacks the low end grunt.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
kuhn-77 said:
well right now i have the weiand on my truck and i really dont like it but i've got a guy that will trade me the dual plane holley for my single plane weiand.. i was wondering if that was a good deal.....
you would probably like the dual plane better

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
There are very few (like, none) street/strip applications that won't perform much better with a dual plane manifold. The open plenum 360deg type are intended for WOT, high speed operation. Period.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
There are very few (like, none) street/strip applications that won't perform much better with a dual plane manifold. The open plenum 360deg type are intended for WOT, high speed operation. Period.

Very wise and very true statement.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
I used the 7546 Xcelerator on my old 383 with an Erson TQ30 cam and it worked "ok" for me but I always felt it would have run a lot better with the Street Dominator or Z/28 intake.

Trade before he changes his mind!

·
Registered
320 Posts
the best dual plane out there is an edelbrock RPM air gap flows just as well as a single pane with the throttle response and performace as a reguar dual plane worth the investment

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
More food for thought:

From what I have seen and heard, the mixture distribution on a single plane is a lot more even.

I've seen it for myself: I took the plugs out of two SBC's , one with a Performer RPM dual plane, one withe single plant Team G weiand - had them side by side, and the plugs from the single plane are much more uniform.

The dual plane had several on the same "plane" that were richer than the others. I guess I could try jetting that side differently. I know that Mopar's back in the day had different jets on opposite sides to try to correct this.

Most people probably will not care about this, but if you ever get to really fine tuning it definetely can make a difference.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with hotrodf1, I have an old article from Hot Rod november 1990 called "The Lash Word" (yes it's a bbc write up). The 454 engine used was a "Sat. night special" and compared cams (hyd,solid,roller) and also oval port intakes (weiand 8013,torker II,Holley strip dom, Dart). Now the hyd cam was healthy (comp cams 292H) that even at low rpm Dart hp& torq equaled if not bettered the the dual planes.
So when I saw that I decided (with my sat. nite special bbc 427)on my dyno run I was going to compare my edelbrock rpm with a Dart intake (oval port). The Dyno guy figured the rpm would be the only way to go. But after the dyno pulls we were both surprised and he said the Dart was the way to go. With the rpm intake the right and left A/F ratio was off.. Yes staggering the jetting might of worked but the dart was right on. Now every application is different, but after the dyno run it made me a little more open minded.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Alot of intake desicions depend on the size of motor aswell, and how your going to use it again the single plane will give up more bootom end like stated its made for 3,000-8,000 range depending on your set up and requires alot of gear in it and some stahl for the street ? you have to ask your self how will you drive it ? or race it like most will want to do both, Thus is the common problem most hot rodders have, now if you are building a 400+ motor like a sb chevy for instance a good single plane will work fairly effencintley because it will most likely be built with alot of carb and alot of volume in the bigger heads. id say if its a mild built motor stay dual plane and do a little pocket porting to help it out some and maybe a carb spacer

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
As with any topic, there is always anecdotal evidence to the contrary but in the vast majority of cases, the divided plenum, 'dual plane', manifold will out perform a single plane one on bottom end (where we do 99.999% of our driving) by a big margin. That's why Detroit keeps using them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts