Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend and I are in a big debate about automatic trannys vs manual trannys. Every conversation we have eventually leads up to it...
I claim that automatics can be faster than manuals especially when you get under 13 seconds 1/4 mile..
He claims that a manual will ALWAYS transfer MORE torque to the wheels and the only purpose of racing with an automatic is for consistency.

Which side is more valid? Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated and hopefully will remove some of the tension between us.
:boxing:
Thanks..

·
Registered
115 Posts
depends. It's like you said, you can get consistentency with an automatic in drag racing, but on the street, manuals are better. But why not just go for the best and get a lenco?:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
mustangdude947 said:
So you are saying manuals are better for street and autos are better for strip?

Thanks
Tony
Yeah, but my personal preference is manual because it's more fun and requires more skill:thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I agree manuals are more fun, and I thank you for clearing up this dispute... maybe my friend and I can finally get along...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personally I prefer the stick shift.
Especially when your girl friend is sitting real close to you.
Ah the good old days.:thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hell, I may be able to settle a bet with that... you wouldn't happen to have any links to websites that display that information, would you? He may not believe me...
Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Sticks are for street and road performance. Autos are for consistency on the track. Stick obviously are still performance inclined as you dont see many Ferraris, Porches and high dollar sports/performance cars opting for an automatic ride. Sure its part of the fun too but keep in mind there are other reasons these companies prefer sticks.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,806 Posts
A manual will never use up as much power. A manual get's better fuel mileage if you know what you are doing. A manual will alway's out last it's counterpart. clutches don't however. It cheaper to replace the clutch then rebuild trans. You get your choice of flywheel. Converters waster power by slipping at low speed. It's hard to overheat and cook a manual trans. Pulling a load is easier with a manual trans. No annoying leaking trans lines either.You don't need a rear trans mount. And my favorite, I can pick up a manual trans and put it into place by myself with no jack. Should I go on?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Going on

I try to avoid the 'always' and 'never', and throw in a few "in my opinion"'s

Sorry to pick your post John. It all comes down to personal taste, and use of the vehicle. They both have their uses, credits, and shortcomings. I personally prefer a stick only in low HP, small vehicles... but that's my choice... and I'm lazy... and my knee, hip, and back thank me.

For every single thing you listed, I have a contrary list, plus.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Two similarly built cars one with manual, one with auto (stall and shift kit) I think you'd be hard pressed to walk away from the auto car. But if you're really good wiht the stick, you should be able to win the race, all other things being eqal.

K

·
Registered
593 Posts
Basically I agree with everything being said, but I still think it is mostly a matter of taste except for you racers.

My project car is an auto, and it is moderately quick, but I still like to bang the gears even if they are fractionally slower. Its just fun!!

IMHO :thumbup:

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts