Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After minor bodywork I'll be priming and blocking my entire '54 Customline in preparation for final paint. I wanted to use hi-build primer so I could have some extra mils for blocking purposes however, every hi-build primer I see is polyester based and everything I've read says to only use polyester based primer on small repairs and NOT on complete paint jobs. So what type/brand of primer should I use to obtain my goals?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Slicksand, if you want really thick. Or just good ole Nason 2K primer, will work just fine.
Its good to do it twice.

First over 180, and raw filler/metal. This first coat can be done with your choice if the above, depending how thick you want it. The Slicksand can be like applying a skim coat over the entire van, and you can get maximum results here.
Or you could use 2k if you are really, really, close with your bodywork.
Block the entire van with 120/180 to your satisfaction, then spray the 2K primer. Block this with 400/500/600 wet and a drop of dish soap, scuff edges and everything that paint will land on. (I usually leave car masked up both times for this.)
Untape, wash real good, dry, mask up, wash over with Pre-Kleano, tack, and spray away!!!

I think I got it all, but probably missed something!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts