Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1967 Elky with a sbc 350. It is making around 350 HP. I have Heddman Elite full length headers with 1 5/8" primaries and 2 1/2" exhaust pipe which dumps at the mufflers. I am looking to add tailpipes, which would be better? The flowmaster 2 1/2" or 3" tail pipe which will exit behind the rear tires....:confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As said above.....any muffler shop can install the system or look of your choice.....I would however stick to the 2 1/2" size.
Why not go with the 3" pipe. Is this size more appropriate for big block or high horsepower applications? Could I possibly lose torque by going with the 3 inch pipe?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I run a full 3 inch mandrel bent system with X pipe and it sounds and works great.I had a 3 inch none mandrel bent exhaust without a cross over before but it was noisy and sounded great!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Not much gained by going 3" after the muffler if the first part and the muffler are all 2.5". I doubt the lack of back pressure will hurt, but if you want a 3" tailpipe just have the shop run 2.5" back and tack on a 3" end for the last 12" or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.