Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jus rebuild 350 vortec motor thats goin in a 81 regal but need tranny! I ran cross a couple of tranny's like a 350 turbo, 400, 700r4, and a power glide trans. Which tanny would be the best to put behind the 350 vortec

Thanx Sean

·
Registered
762 Posts
first thing, unless you are doing heavy duty drag racing where a modified powerglide could be a good choice, you need a 4 speed trans, with the overdrive for the highway.
Then, investigate which one: th200r4 can be modified for fairly high power (but has to be modified); th700r4 is a good overall trans,even stock for moderate power; 4L80E is the 4 speed version of the old th400, heaviest duty stock, but very heavy (probably not good behind a mild sbc).
So now, just talk to shops, read forums, check ratios... to decide between the 2, th200 or th700.
Easy!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
wave1957 said:
first thing, unless you are doing heavy duty drag racing where a modified powerglide could be a good choice,
Car is too heavy for a 'glide, street or race.
700R4 4-speed has a 1st gear that is almost unuseable and the rpm drop between 1st and 2nd is horrible.
200-4R 4-speed has reasonable gear ratios, can be built to take a lot of abuse.
350 3-speed has good ratios, but no overdrive for mileage. Millions and millions in use around the planet. Cheap and reliable.
400 3-speed good ratios, no overdrive. Tough. Used behind big block motors from the factory. Bulletproof behind a small block.

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
techinspector1 said:
Car is too heavy for a 'glide, street or race.
700R4 4-speed has a 1st gear that is almost unuseable and the rpm drop between 1st and 2nd is horrible.
200-4R 4-speed has reasonable gear ratios, can be built to take a lot of abuse.
350 3-speed has good ratios, but no overdrive for mileage. Millions and millions in use around the planet. Cheap and reliable.
400 3-speed good ratios, no overdrive. Tough. Used behind big block motors from the factory. Bulletproof behind a small block.

Hey tech I have a buddy with 1970 chevy impala that has a powerglide in it in stock for and im sure that car weighs more than a regal

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
If its just a street vehicle and you need gearing for highway, I'd do a 200-4r. Great ratios, light weight, and very durable. If you're going to really hit it with a lot of power, they can be expensive to beef up, but if we're talking about something in the 300-350 hp range a shift kit is really all you need.

If you're building a really torquey low-rpm motor, all you really need is a 3-speed to match up with some high rear gears. 3.08 gears with a TH400 would be cheap, bulletproof, and last longer than jesus.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My vote is for the 200-4R...better first gear and better spread between gears. If they're good enough for a Buick GN, then they're good enough for your set-up. Try the Bow Tie Overdrive's Web Site... it has a WORLD of info on the 700-R4 and the 200-4R, and they are straight up people to deal with. I've got a 200-4R behind a blown DeSoto Hemi in my 32 Ford Roadster... :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
700's and 200 are expensive to rebuild and are harder to get to work right. 200 governs are a pain. lock up converters are expensive and also and require more stuff to work. plus the TV cable setup is also important. I would use a 700r over a 200. even though the 200 has better gearing.

400's a big and heavy. over kill for you. the 350 is the better choice here.

glides will be a dog unless weight/hp ratio is around 5:1.

If the engine is using a mild cam and you want to save money use the thm350 with a stock to 2200 stall converter.
if you plan to drive in the city and highway, use a 3.08 gear.
pure city use a 3.55 gear
pure highway use a 2.73 gear

for better power and more OD, use the 700 with a 3.55 to 3.73 gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.