Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm inheriting a 64 chevy pickup. started life as a column shift, but a granny four speed floor shift was added at some point. It has an H-pattern, and I assumed someone had swapped in an SM465 - but, reverse is LEFT and down instead of right and down. The tranny looks relatively recent, and the forks are nice and tight so I see no reason not to use it for motivation.

The engine is wasted and I'm planning to drop in a healthy small block, just wanted to research strength, ratios, etc before I destroy it with modern torque numbers.

What tranny is it? If that's not enough info, let me know where to look for more info.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
curtis73 said:
I'm inheriting a 64 chevy pickup. started life as a column shift, but a granny four speed floor shift was added at some point. It has an H-pattern, and I assumed someone had swapped in an SM465 - but, reverse is LEFT and down instead of right and down. The tranny looks relatively recent, and the forks are nice and tight so I see no reason not to use it for motivation.

The engine is wasted and I'm planning to drop in a healthy small block, just wanted to research strength, ratios, etc before I destroy it with modern torque numbers.

What tranny is it? If that's not enough info, let me know where to look for more info.
Stock trans in that truck would have been an SM420, predecessor to the SM465. The SM420 has reverse on the left.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
yep... early trans had reverse on opposite side... I had an chevy truck with that 4 speed granny low trans

·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks. I did some research and it looks like its ridiculously bulletproof, but it has pretty useless ratios for a street truck. 7:1 first? Yeah, that will get used alot :) I could get by with 2-4 and it would be geared like a 700r4 minus the OD.

Oh well, its installed, its in good shape, I'll use it for now. I have a Vortec 350 to drop in for now and get it moving. Might go diesel/NV4500 in the future.

I'm not even sure its a 64 yet. Its buried in the back of the storage lot at our shop. Its the owner's and he's giving it to me as a bonus :D I'll get pictures later. Its straight and rust free so I'm not sure I care.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
curtis73 said:
Ok, thanks. I did some research and it looks like its ridiculously bulletproof, but it has pretty useless ratios for a street truck. 7:1 first? Yeah, that will get used alot :)
Makes it popular with rock crawlers and good for changing the rotation of the earth... :D

·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna go try to find the VIN so I can see what year it exactly is. It has to be 64-66 because it has the vent windows on the side and no wrap-around windshield.

I even have a gallon of black matte basecoat paint sitting around somewhere. Now if I can just find my spray gun...

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
curtis73 said:
I'm gonna go try to find the VIN so I can see what year it exactly is. It has to be 64-66 because it has the vent windows on the side and no wrap-around windshield.

I even have a gallon of black matte basecoat paint sitting around somewhere. Now if I can just find my spray gun...

Lowes has paint rollers that are inexpensive.

;) ;)

·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Front right fender has a tiny spot of rot, and the driver's side of the roof also has a little rust through, but the rockers and cab mounts look like they've been done very recently. And I manage a body shop, so I get really cheap work anyway :) Otherwise its very straight. I'll probably just have them patch that front right fender and I can get a whole new roof panel and weld it on or just patch it depending on how it looks.

Not bad for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.