Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1962 Buick Skylark which is all original, I was torn to just restore it to original or rod it out. I think from what I have heard about the dual-pass transmission I would have to change to a newer style so that kills the original restore; because I want to drive it....a lot. I do not know a lot about the 215 except the history of course;.., with the british buying it from GM. Is the motor worth all the trouble and expense to build? I have heard that a small block chev is the same dimensions as the 215. Has anyone made a swap on the engine and trans? can everybody give me input on problems with doghouse (transmission), stering, exaust clearance......., I am at an impass of which way to go with this and I do not want to rip it up to bad to make stuff fit. Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
You need to decide what its worth to you. Putting a chev engine in a NON-corporate buick is a sin to me. It kills all the wow factor when you pop the hood. go with a 215 and a 200-4r (since no one can see the trans anyway) and store the 2spd under your bench

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I have not; I do believe the 215 has a unique bolt pattern which will require either redrilling or an adapter plate. D&D Fab (aluminumv8.com) and Bendtsen's probably have what you need. Expect to pay probably close to a grand to get the kit. The trans came behind turbo buicks and v6 G-bodies

My thought on it is this:

To someone who wants to drive that car, the resale price is actually a bit higher because your conversion is done, and not insurmountable if you include the original trans in the same, to switch it back to factory stock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which way to go

Thanks AutoGear I think I will stay with the 215 if it is repairable and go with the 200 r4 or maybe a borg warner T-10 since they came out stock in some of the Skylarks. If anybody has any 215 parts or a tranny I may be interested.
Thx

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I know D&D (aluminumV8) makes a bellhousing to mate a T10 Saginaw or Muncie behind the 215. I believe the 215 is a different mounting pattern than the rest of the BOP-C's. We built one of our wide ratio M22's for a customer with this bellhousing. Seemed to go fine. We did another gearbox (M22 ultra wide ratio) for the same customer with a 401 nailhead in it. If you go stick, you're gonna want a fair amount of 1st gear to move that car from a stop. Something like a 2.56 Muncie or a 2.64 T10 with a set of 3.73s in the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.