Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just replaced 700r4 in my 1989 suburban,trans worked in last truck, but since being installed in mine it will not engage in gear (any) and makes a slight whirring noise in any gear range including park and nuetral

·
Administrator
9,767 Posts
suburban nightmare said:
just replaced 700r4 in my 1989 suburban,trans worked in last truck, but since being installed in mine it will not engage in gear (any) and makes a slight whirring noise in any gear range including park and nuetral

did you reuse the same converter that worked with the replacement tranny in the last truck?

Could be a broken pump.

could be mismatched converter & input splines.

Early 700 trans were 27 spline , changed to 30 splines in 1985........ early trans with a later converter will result in no power transmitted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Crosley

You may have solved the problem I am in the process of rebuilding the trans out of my suburban, and I put this trans in for the time being until tranny rebuild complete (my suburban is an 89 the current trans is out of a 84 K-5 Blazer) the torque converter I used would be the new one that I purchased for the tranny rebuild. Have I damaged the older trans or the new converter. Hope not plan to locate the tc from the K-5 and put it in.

·
Administrator
9,767 Posts
Jmark said:
If the spline count is different, how could you even get it in far enough to bolt the trans up to the block? Or are the shaft diameters different between the 2? Hmmmmm. LOL

Mark
I speculate you are unfamiliar with the 27 spline input shaft of the 700 line of trannys.

The 27 spline shaft is smaller in diameter. It will easily slide into the 30 spline converter. There will be no power transmitted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts