Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to have my 64 Nova painted and I'm looking for the brightest, whitest paint I can find. Paint codes if you have them as well. Preferably a Bc/cc system. As I'm afraid SS won't hold up as well or have the depth and shine.
I have no preferences as to which brand. I just want one that's durable. So I don't mind spending the money if necessary.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bright white

Hello, I just painted a 1968 Mustang fastback. Dupont GM bright arctic frost white late model, will look at paint code today when i get to the shop, any paint store should be able to tell you what it is. The brightest white i,ve seen. hope this might help.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Late model Toyota is another very bright one.
Got the code at home sorry.Like 97-up I think.
I saw a new compact of some sort a few days ago that was the brightest white I've ever seen. Not sure what it was but I believe it was a Toyota as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ckucia said:
Doesn't SPI have a bright white?
But do they have it in a bc/cc? I didn't see anything on their site except ss. I don't mind using ss if it will hold up? I've just always thought it was better to go with a bc/cc system for a car that will be driven often. Don't know, I'm not a painter or body man.
Anyway, I plan to use SPI primers and clears. It would be nice to use the same products from start to finish. I just didn't mention it because I didn't want to start one of those SPI threads. :boxing:

After talking with Barry a while back I feel pretty confident in his products. But when talking with Barry I never mentioned anything about the color I was going with because I wasn't sure at that time. I guess I'll have to give him a call.

Thanks

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Think of it this way.
A bc/cc will be a LOT brighter simply due to the clear.
A ss will just have "character" and not quite the flash.
IMO, They both have a distinct place in the paint world.
Apples vs Oranges.
I'd be willing to bet that SPI's white is a killer one.
I've yet to see anything come out of Barry's place that was not exceptional to say the least.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sorry..... I guess if you are looking for the brightest white, you should just go down to the local paint store and have them mix you some. Most whites have added yellow/blue et..... But they can make you an all white paint. You might want to ask them if all base white pigments are the same for all paint manufacturers. If not, then they surely have a rating system similar to printer paper. The higher the number the greater the brightness.

Google "white auto paint pigment" and see what you get.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is what I thought. All white paint is TiO2 based. So you just need to get some pure white paint from the local store.

TiO2 is the white pigment used in practically every can of paint that isn't black. It comes in two crystalline forms: rutile and anatase. Papermakers and makers of paints and plastics usually prefer rutile, which is made using a chloride process. Anatase--made with a sulfate process--is preferred for polyester fibers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tab said:
Sorry..... I guess if you are looking for the brightest white, you should just go down to the local paint store and have them mix you some. Most whites have added yellow/blue et..... But they can make you an all white paint. You might want to ask them if all base white pigments are the same for all paint manufacturers. If not, then they surely have a rating system similar to printer paper. The higher the number the greater the brightness.

Google "white auto paint pigment" and see what you get.
No need to be sorry, I just wanted to be clear on what it is that you are trying to show me.
I looked at probably twenty or so white cars today and couldn't tell which one was the brightest white. :drunk: I thought this little Toyota I saw was but then I saw a new Buick and it looked really white. Then I saw a Honda that looked really white. I just couldn't tell which one was brighter without seeing them side by side. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to pick one and go with it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No, just have the local paint store give you a gallon of pure white without any added pigments. That's as bright as it gets. My Honda white is a mix of a bunch of other colors as well as a white TiO2 base.

3,214 Posts
As far as SPI goes, they have GM-40, GM-50, and Pure White. All available in Base. You might call Barry and talk to him to make sure of what you want. I personally don't know what either of the GM color codes are like. A "Pure White" sure sounds like what you are looking for. I would think that a qt of the SS would give yu an idea what it really looks like as far as color is concerned.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
A pure white will be very bright but won't highlight any body lines and contours, by adding a little weak black and or blue it provides you with more shadow when not in direct sunlight and makes the color actually look cleaner IMO. Pure white gives to much glow IMO and takes away depth. It all depends on what you're after.

A straight white off the mixing rack will be as pure as you can get.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
baddbob said:
A pure white will be very bright but won't highlight any body lines and contours, by adding a little weak black and or blue it provides you with more shadow when not in direct sunlight and makes the color actually look cleaner IMO. Pure white gives to much glow IMO and takes away depth. It all depends on what you're after.

A straight white off the mixing rack will be as pure as you can get.
Hmmm. I see what you're saying. It'd be like putting white out on it. Well I definitely want some depth. I'm thinking maybe GM Arctic white or Galaxy White. They also have a bright white, but it may be like what you're talking about, to bright.
I sent Barry a p.m. to get his thoughts on it and see what he has to offer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.