Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out how to get parts for this distributor. It uses the GM type four-blade module mounted externally, and also uses an external std type ignition coil. The mechanical weights are located in the base and the rotor is the smaller non-round type. The module and coil are both Accel. The engine is a mid-eighties 454.
Thanks for any help...
Tom

·
Old(s) Fart
6,018 Posts
Looks like a normal GM small-cap HEI to me. Looks like maybe they removed the stamped-steel cover on the side and hacked in an older HEI module.
Look again. GM never used spring clips on the distributor cap. This is likely an Accel body that someone converted. It isn't clear that it's factory-made with the HEI module.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To the OP: given how easy it is to get a real GM HEI distributor, why mess with that half-fast unit?
Even with a recessed firewall there is very little room around the cap - The unit works well, and it is unlikely a one-off unit since I found an obsolete ebay sale showing the exact same product. I like the external module design too. There's not much to fail, so I'm looking for a cap and rotor that will fit, for example. I suspect it might be an older Mallory, but that is speculation on my part. If no-one can identify it, I'll try taking the cap into a parts store to see if it matches with the mallory 209M cap.

·
Registered
15,345 Posts
Since you’ve been in it is it switched with a switched with a reluctor above the advance system or is it using a points cam to trigger a sensor Hall or magnetic or points?

GM offered a small cap HEI over the counter for racers a few years before the large cap HEI was used in production that used a snap on cap with the advance system under the reluctor the module was remote mounted. Bosch also made a small cap HEI that fit the Holden V8’s which I think fits the SBC and BBC but it carries the module horizontally inside a tin dog house to keep moisture off the module it also mounts the advance system internally under the reluctor.

Your probably going to have to pull it to find out who’s it is, maybe take measurements for cap and rotor, might just be easier to buy a small cap MSD or competing brand.

Bogie

·
Old(s) Fart
6,018 Posts
Any Chevy distributor with a snap-on cap is aftermarket. They were never factory installed. Many of the items offered in the GM performance parts catalog are rebranded aftermarket parts. The Accel/Mallory/Prestolite snap-on distributor caps are all pretty much the same. There are a LOT of home-brewed conversions using externally-mounted GM four pin HEI modules and either points or mag pickups to trigger them. There are also a lot of home-brewed conversions that replace expensive aftermarket distributor modules with inexpensive HEI modules like this (see the images below). The only company that ever mounted modules externally like that was Davis Unified Ignitions, and they stopped selling those years ago. If all you need is a cap and rotor, the Accel/Mallory parts will almost certainly work. We've spent way more time talking about this than it takes to just do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have this distributor in my 57 . It is a pertronix unit and it uses mid seventies Mopar cap and rotor.
I have put vacuum to the advance unit and it doesn't move too much I was having some issues getting it dialed in.
How does it run for you ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is OK now. I took it apart because the vacuum advance wasn't working at all, as the guy who setup the engine used too long a screw on the inside advance connection which locked it up. I ended up reducing the initial timing from what it was, and now I'm getting good performance. I like the way you can just switch out the module easily on the road if one fails. Thanks for the input BTW.
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts