Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that you can get a ticket for burning rubber away from a light or revving your engine in a cops presence. If this is true, what's the deal??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lluciano77 said:
Wreckless driving.

Exhibition of speed.

Possible speed contest. That is if someone was next to you as you lit 'em up.
That's soo stupid! What if you're just trying to show off :D

·
Tenacious D Rocks!!!
31 Posts
yeah, that is bs. happened to a guy i knew in his 68 camaro. it was still in the tuning stage when he decided to take it out for a spin. at a stop light he was turning right and the car was trying to die so he revved it up and tried taking off, open exhaust, spins the tires a little. a cop was down about a block away, heard it and looked back, spun the car around in the middle of mainstreet, he spun his tires more the other guy. pulled him over and said he was showing an excess of speed, wasn't speeding or anything, just loud and spun. he went to court for it (threw a big *** fit in the middle of town, a little threatening went on) and got off because the cop didn't show up. kind of pointless to pull him over and not show up. the cop did an illegal u-turn, spun the tires making more noise than the camaro, and not a big deal. like i said, bs

·
Registered
23 Posts
dharroald said:
yeah, that is bs. happened to a guy i knew in his 68 camaro. it was still in the tuning stage when he decided to take it out for a spin. at a stop light he was turning right and the car was trying to die so he revved it up and tried taking off, open exhaust, spins the tires a little. a cop was down about a block away, heard it and looked back, spun the car around in the middle of mainstreet, he spun his tires more the other guy. pulled him over and said he was showing an excess of speed, wasn't speeding or anything, just loud and spun. he went to court for it (threw a big *** fit in the middle of town, a little threatening went on) and got off because the cop didn't show up. kind of pointless to pull him over and not show up. the cop did an illegal u-turn, spun the tires making more noise than the camaro, and not a big deal. like i said, bs

:thumbup: :thumbup:
i had almost the same thing happen to me!!!

jj

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I burned some rubber making a right hand turn and went right past the local unmarked Explorer who was driving towards me. He quick made a u-turn and came after me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Were you sleeping in drivers ed classes? You better get your mind right son about respect for the law or you're going to have some hard knock in life ahead of you.:spank:

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
Breaking traction is what its called here. You will get a ticket for not keeping your car "under control". It can also be construed as reckless driving, which can get you arrested and your car towed depending on your attitude.
Dont be stupid. Do your burnouts on private property!

·
Banned
431 Posts
thats why i always look around and make sure that there are no cops around before i start doing donuts.........

remember THINK before you act....;)

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Ohio it is considered one of the many....
Reckless Operation, Failure to control, Nuisance Operation, Disturbing the peace, Excessive Acceleration, Exhibition of Speed, Intent of Drag Racing, Exibition of speed....take your pick.
On a side note....why is it always the newbie drivers that get pissed about a law when they break the law? If you ever have any doubts...call the police dept and ask them (hypothetical question of course) Then call your insurance company and ask them how much your rates will go up for a ticket of one of the above offenses...that right there is enough to make you want to follow the traffic laws.
So....you think it is BS to light up the tires? Let me ask you this...say you are sitting behind someone at the stop light and you are minding your own business and the guy(orGirl) in front of you decides to light the tires up...flips a rock off of the tir and through the windshield of the car that you work so hard to keep nice...Still BS?
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Weimer said:
Ohio it is considered one of the many....
Reckless Operation, Failure to control, Nuisance Operation, Disturbing the peace, Excessive Acceleration, Exhibition of Speed, Intent of Drag Racing, Exibition of speed....take your pick.
On a side note....why is it always the newbie drivers that get pissed about a law when they break the law? If you ever have any doubts...call the police dept and ask them (hypothetical question of course) Then call your insurance company and ask them how much your rates will go up for a ticket of one of the above offenses...that right there is enough to make you want to follow the traffic laws.
So....you think it is BS to light up the tires? Let me ask you this...say you are sitting behind someone at the stop light and you are minding your own business and the guy(orGirl) in front of you decides to light the tires up...flips a rock off of the tir and through the windshield of the car that you work so hard to keep nice...Still BS?
Later,
WEIMER
Very well said and spot on! Bottom line.... If you act stupid expect to get a ticket.

Centerline

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
I can see them getting you for spinning the tires, but not for rev'ing. 'round here everybody revs their **** (unless you are running open headers, shhhhhh).

"It wanted to stall, Officer, i was just keeping it running, you know to avoid being a traffic hazzard".

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
I got a ticket in Des Moines once for "spinning tires". I was driving "Old Green" 69 Ford F100 and the stop light turned yellow, I floored it and spun the tires clear through the intersection. Just happened to be a cop watching the exhibition and he stopped me and gave me a ticket. He was a nice guy and we did have a good conversation about Old Green's modifications. He could have gave me a worse ticket than "spinning tires" that would have cost me quite a bit more if he wanted to. The ticket didn't cost much but it was kind of a hassle since it was an unscheduled violation I had to take the time to go to court.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
While cruising on Hollywood Blvd i've seen cars ticketed for reving there motor. Gives the cop a reason to check your license.

My dad was on his way to a family dinner with me and my mom when he turned the corner on a side street spinning the tires a good 20 feet. A cop was standing outside of his car as my dad approached the cop. He stopped my dad and the cop said, "Tell me you just accidently spinned your tires" my dad responded that the tires were wet. The cop let him go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
akm said:
thats why i always look around and make sure that there are no cops around before i start doing donuts.........

remember THINK before you act....;)
I agree.....LOOK before racing away from the stoplights.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In Indiana it is called unsafe start which is 2 points on your license. (At least it was, the last day of school in 1979.) It was always a tradition for the seniors to smoke tires on the last day of school. The county sheriff said he could have written me up for reckless driving but thought that I had abused my tires and drive line enough already.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts