Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me why do cars always blow up in the movies and on tv? A little crash and BOOM! A blown engine and BOOM! It is so predictable.

How many of you have had a car blow up on you in real life? I have seen a couple of cars burn up but they didn't explode like they were full of dynamite. I caught a 64 Chevy 2-door sedan on fire, it burned hotter than heck but it didn't blow up. (If you come across a burning car with those shock absorbing bumpers, I recommend that you stay out of the line of fire for those bumpers since they will blow clear off the car with quite a bit of force.) I ran a 70 Sport Fury head on into a pole at sixty mph, knocked the pole over and the headlights ended up facing each other but where was the earth-shattering-BOOM? Wasn't there supposed to be an earth-shattering-BOOM? I was with a friend in his 69 GTO Judge, the speedometer went to 140 mph, the needle was about an inch and a half past that when the engine shelled. We coasted peacefully to a stop but the GTO did not explode, maybe we were just doing something wrong.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Yeah I guess it is just more dramatic to pack a car full of fuel and explosives and blow it up for the movies. There are so many none car people that think that will really happen. When I see a ridiculous car explosion it just kind of makes the movie corny and ruins it for me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'll tell you, too, the Dukes of Hazzard was way wrong as well. When a car goes airborne, there is no commercial break in between the take-off and the landing. Remember, I broke that tie rod somewhere near 100 (** DISCLAIMER** EXCEPTIONALLY STUPID TO DO AND I DO NOT ENDORSE THAT TYPE OF SPEED ON PUBLIC ROADS), left the road, and launched it. I really could have used that break to allow me the time to change my shorts. Same goes with the "License to Kill" James Bond movie. Ever seen an 18 wheeler drive on 3 wheels?

If it comes from Hollywood, it is fake.

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love the occasional Simpsons episode when they show things crash and then explode. Like, ambulances bumping trees, wheel chairs, etc.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Exploding movie cars makes me think of the original Fast and the Furious when the car goes up in a giant ball of fire because the "Naws" bottles blew up.

Here's what a real nitrous explosion looks like...

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
CrashFarmer2 said:
I ran a 70 Sport Fury head on into a pole at sixty mph, knocked the pole over and the headlights ended up facing each other but where was the earth-shattering-BOOM? Wasn't there supposed to be an earth-shattering-BOOM?
Now that was just mean----

Bryan<>>>>>>first car>>>>>70 Sport Fury GT>>>>>440>>>>>killed by a drunk driver while parked

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! awesome picture Blazin72.

Bryan, I learned about hydroplaning that night. I was glad the Fury was a big car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Remember the scene in Dr. No, where the car runs off the road, bounces down a ditch in slow motion, and then like explodes for no reason? I dunno, but its standing out in my mind.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The other thing I like about Hollywood cars is they can somehow squeal the tires on gravel roads. Imagine that.

And Jeebus, Blazin, did that bottle blow up right in the garage? Makes me think twice about ever using NOS.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
Blazin, that is WILD! Do you have a link to the story behind it?

This car expoding thing has always bugged the hell out of me. MOST people you ask on the street would think that a car will do that! Along with the argument that the seat belts will "trap" them in the burning car!!

I have made it a habit to teach children in my kids classes on "what your parent does at work day" or in Scouting den meetings. I have a large rubbermaid box full of tapes showing welding and painting, welding samples, air bags, seat belts, photos of wrecked cars with no injuries to the people (because they had their seat belts on) displays showing why you wear your belts, paint gun, sand paper, display showing the dual brake mastercylinder and how brakes don't "fail" lke in the movies.

Let the kids know that cars get wrecked everyday and if you are wearing your seat belt you get out and walk away.

You can't believe some of the questions these kids have. Not only do they ask the classic ones about seat belts trapping you in a burning car and brakes failing and stuff like that, but I can see in their eyes, THEY ARE THINKING ABOUT THIS! They are actually worried, they probably get into their moms car thinking about being trapped when it bursts into flames! I am not kidding you. They have seen it so many times (along with their stupid Uncle Paul who told them how his friends friend would have been killed if he had his seat belts on) they really think it will happen.

So go and tell the children in your life the truth. Just because they have never mentioned it, doesn't mean they aren't thinking about it.

Brian

·
Registered
249 Posts
And why is it that 10 bad guys with Uzi's can't hit someone but James Bond can fire one shot from the hip with a pistol from 100 yards and get the bad guy on top of a building.
Rambo and Norris? Getting shot at by 50 trained solders and they get them all without getting nicked.
On The A team everyone good and bad would shoot 5000 rounds and no one ever got hit.

But the 29 shot western revolver always got the best of me. LOL at those.

Gotta love those Movie guys.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Belly Of The Beast must rate as the movie with most bullets shot at Steven Seagal and failed to hit, and the guy is huge. Even when the house he´s in is nearly reduced to it´s foundations by rapid fire he walks out unscathed.
The review says it all.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
malc said:
Belly Of The Beast must rate as the movie with most bullets shot at Steven Seagal and failed to hit, and the guy is huge. Even when the house he´s in is nearly reduced to it´s foundations by rapid fire he walks out unscathed.
The review says it all.
that review was awesome. Good chuckle for a slow day at work.

K

·
Registered
10 Posts
cboy said:
The other thing I like about Hollywood cars is they can somehow squeal the tires on gravel roads. Imagine that.
Gravel? hah nothing could keep Efrem Zimbalist jr. from squealing the tires on those 4 door Fords! Even forest dirt and leaves! Made me want one till I actually got one and hadda put cheapo hard rubber K-Mart Fisk tires on it before it would chirp. Must a been some kind of secret FBI gubmint build! :confused:
Yall's not trying to tell me that Hollywood dont know from shinola are you?

Allen

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
cboy said:
And Jeebus, Blazin, did that bottle blow up right in the garage? Makes me think twice about ever using NOS.
Yep, apparently the bottle heater never shut off. These aren't my pictures, I found them on the internet a while back and was impressed by them so I kept them. I'll try to find the site again some time and share it with you guys...

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
If you look at the "properties" of the photos they are from some health education site. I couldn't find anything there on the photos but did get some good info about the rash on my rear. :)

Brian

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
I always like in movies, how they will research their roles in the movies to act better, but don't even research the parts on car. Which would take about 5min to call a mechanic and ask him some questions so they don't look like total idiots on screen.

Like in the movie "In The Army Now" with pauly shore. They got their truck stuck in the sand, so one guy tries to rock it back and forth to get it out.
Paully shore tells him to stop because its getting sand in the intake. As if the engine doesn't have an air filter on it. It then breaks down and they pop the hood, and after one glance they announce that its a cracked block because of sand down the intake :rolleyes:

Brad

1 - 20 of 30 Posts