Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I determined that with the PCV valve hooked up, my SBC 350 will not idle right, it just fluctautes up and down. With the line removed and capped off it sounds great, no RPM fluctuations.

My setup is the PCV in the passenger valve cover and a K&N oil breather/filter in the driver's side valve cover.

Could I be drawing fresh air in from the oil breather? Is there that much vacuum pumping going on? Could I just get another breather/filter and get rid of the PCV? Thanks for the advice. This all came up when I started my TBI conversion project.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Sounds like it was tuned without the PCV, and now with it hooked up it is drawing too much air under the throttle blades.
PCV valves are engine specific, the wrong one can flow too little or too much air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved!!

I got some good info:

I was using an older style PCV instead of one for a fuel injection system. I bought a PCV for a 1990 Corvette with a FI 350 and now it runs just like it did with no PCV in the system. I guess the newer ones meter the flow of air better.

Any suggestions on fuel pumps? I am only getting 11psi and want 13-15psi. Is an intank model better? Mine is also really noisy, so I would like it back away from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
HiJack::

Does anyone have or is there a chart available that enables you to match you PCV to your vacuum? I don't believe a stock PCV that was designed for +/- 18" at idle will work correctly on modified engines with 10-13" at idle.

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.