Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my project car has a powerglide that was rebuilt by a speed shop, and it works great, but if the car sits for a couple of months it leaks about a quart of tranny fluid out. it seems to be leaking out of the front of the tranny, but exactly where I can't tell. if the car gets driven, even a little bit now and then, the tranny doesn't leak a drop. but let it sit for two or three months and it spits a bunch out. I parked my 4x4 for the summer last year and it did the same thing. why do they do that and where is the leak coming from?

·
Registered
257 Posts
When the engine is running the torque convertor is filled with fluid, as it sits for extended periods the convertor eventually drains part of the fluid back into the the transmission. Apparently you have a bad seal somewhere and once the fluid level reaches that point it leaks out.

The good news is that is likely not the transmission front seal. If that were bad it would normally show up when the car is running.

Likely suspects are shift shaft, kick down and fill tube seals. Additionally it is possible that speedometer adaptor is leaking (these usually have an O ring on the outside of the adaptor where it seals in the transmission case and also a seal on the inside that seals the driven gear). These seals can all be changed in car although depending on the transmission and body it's in some can be a major pain.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
1957plymouthhemi said:
When the engine is running the torque convertor is filled with fluid, as it sits for extended periods the convertor eventually drains part of the fluid back into the the transmission. Apparently you have a bad seal somewhere and once the fluid level reaches that point it leaks out.

The good news is that is likely not the transmission front seal. If that were bad it would normally show up when the car is running.

Likely suspects are shift shaft, kick down and fill tube seals. Additionally it is possible that speedometer adaptor is leaking (these usually have an O ring on the outside of the adaptor where it seals in the transmission case and also a seal on the inside that seals the driven gear). These seals can all be changed in car although depending on the transmission and body it's in some can be a major pain.
actually, if its not the filler tube leaking, odds r that it is coming from the front seal... something ive seen for years... they tend to leak after sitting for a couple weeks or so.. a weekly drive or something like that, would help a bunch..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts