Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it doesn't seem anything like plastic what so ever.....seems more like....dust...finely packed dust....lol

is it some similar "ingredient" in plastic and in filler that makes people want to call it "plastic"??? I dono if it's just me...but when i think of plastic, i think of, children's toys, body filler spreaders, Asian cars, most things from harbor freight....etc....

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
It is basically polyester (fiberglass) resin and talc for body. Soooooo, fiberglass has often been called "plastic" thus polyester body filler is often called "plastic".

Brian

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so are you specifying like fiberglass infused fillers such as kitty hair and everglass or do you mean like z grip and all types...?

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
All common filler like RAGE, Metal Glaze, USC, Evercoat, 3M, as well as reinforced like Metal to Metal, Duraglass, they all are very similar polyester resin based.

Brian

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Look up the definition of plastic, "Plastic" is the condition of a material not really a name for any particular material as most people have come to think but we have simply come to call most "plastic" (pliable, mold-able) materials by this generic (and actually misleading) term instead of using the true names of a multitude of very different materials such as urethane, polycarbonate, polyethylene, polystyrene, acrylic, etc, etc, etc. When you say "plastic" body filler it simply means that the material is in a plastic state that is mold-able and work-able and not that is made from a material called "plastic".

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I call it plastic filler just to differenciate between the other fillers, fiberglass or aluminum powder types or finishing-spot putty and glaze. Basically these are all polyester resin based, but have some different filler materials wether it be glass strands, alluminium powder, talc. A lot of people call it bondo, but bondo is a brand name, so I don't. Much like calling an adjustable wrench a crescent wrench.

·
Technician
701 Posts
The polyester resin that body filler is made of is a plastic precursor, in the same family of polymers as the plastic pop bottle. So "plastic filler" is a pretty accurate name.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
There are two types of plastics.

Thermoplastics are normally what you think of when you hear the word plastic and are high molecular weight polymers. They become a solid by several mechanisms; through weak van der Waals forces i.e., polyethylene; hydrogen bonding i.e., nylon; and stacking of aromatic rings i.e., polystyrene (our beloved model kits!). These plastics can be melted with high temperature and get brittle when cooled sufficiently.

Thermosetting plastics Differ from thermosetting in that they are cured by cross-linking to a very stable solid with some sort of catylyzing agent (methylethylkeytone peroxide for polyester resins used in 'plastic' body fillers, fiberglas resin), two part epoxy, some resins cure with exposure to UV light. Once cured these plastics can not be remelted like thermoplastics can.

Thus plastic body filler is, as the name implies, a thermosetting plastic resin with solid fillers to give it the putty like consistency.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
Any polymer with a metallic or ceramic filler is technically a composite. Fiberglass is a polyester (polymer) resin with a ceramic (glass fibers) filler and is therefore a composite. I think talc is also classified as a ceramic, so "plastic" body filler would more accurately be called "composite" body filler. I'm probably too late to change an entire industry, however.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
great answers guys, my background is plastics and yesterday I was stumped to write a "brief" correct answer

a different simple answer.....before "plastic" fillers were available, it was "lead" filler, and "wood" glue filler before that......the "hi-tech" back then name:"plastic" stuck to denote it's not a "mineral" filler or a "organic" filler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts