Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering why, with some people, there is a tendency to turn away from a four door car. Im only 18, so I wasnt there at the "beginning",and to me, and old car is a cool car, but my dad told me that he and his buddies always thought the four doors were your parents car, and two doors were cooler. I have a four door 53 chev and im really enjoying working on it and learning, but i have some people tell me to not dump so much money into a four door. i think they're cool either way, and with a four door, i dont have to get out for someone to get in. Where do you guys stand?
-Led

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Led, 2 doors hav just always been more sporty & cool thanmom & pops 4 door.however, that doesnt mean your 4 door 53 Chevy cant be cool, 4 doors have been becoming more popular ,partialy cause the 2 doors are so expensive.I say dont worry about it, have fun, enjoy it.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Suicide the rear doors and it's all good. :cool:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
4 doors make for awesome interiors!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

like bstmech said suicide the rear doors and you got a cool 4 door. I'm kinda into 4 doors, they're so cheap around here. In fact I know where a 53 chevy 4-door for $300 is rustin away.

Mike

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
it also kind of depends on the car....some cars just dont seem to work as 4 doors, like Fairlanes & Falcons for example.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I heard a buddy in college say, "More doors, more....women." Seriously, 4-doors can be way cool. You really want to blow some minds, suicide the rear doors and chop the top!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A chop top is in the plans for the future, and Im trying to work out a way to suicide the rear doors, but it will cut into the wheel well, so im trying to work out a clean looking hinge system.
-Led

·
Registered
40 Posts
2 doors, shorter wheelbase, lighter, better for racing. Do you plan on racing, or are you building a cruiser.

4 doors are gaining their popularity because it is getting harder and harder to find good 2 door projects.

I plan on building a 4 door someday, I got a 60s biscayne sitting on my farm that would be the coolest car for cruising around, shave the door handles, suicide the rear, make a nice plush interior, throw some paint and wheels on, small block engine, and I will have a great car to ride around in with buds, and pick up chicks.

Build your ride for yourself, not others, f' the haters.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
A chop top is in the plans for the future, and Im trying to work out a way to suicide the rear doors, but it will cut into the wheel well, so im trying to work out a clean looking hinge system.
2 doors, shorter wheelbase, lighter, better for racing. Do you plan on racing, or are you building a cruiser.
AntiBling....4 doors have the same wheelbase as two doors. Just smaller doors and shorter fenders. Frames are the same.

Led Sled...dare to be different. How about suicide Lambo doors?

Kevin

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Exception to the rule: Many of the GM A-bodies used different wheelbases for 2-doors & 4-doors. Started in around '68 or '69, I believe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I always wanted to build a 50 or so buick 4 door into an ultra cool family hauler.

Right now I am working on my 74 coupe Deville just because it was easy to get and in good enough shape for my purposes. I am going to build a 76 Sedan deville also, but the coupe I got first.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Suicide Solution!

You could suicide the rear doors and shave the rear handles. :thumbup:

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
here's my $250 four door i got for the wife last week. personally i have owned more 4doors cars over my life then 2 doors, i like them cause ya dont have to get out or let someone climb over you to get in the back seat & its easier to get the cooler out :D :D ....joe

http://community.webshots.com/album/181306728FrMwLH <~~ pics

Attachments

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
4 doors have a stigma attached to them because they were usually the slow, less attractive, family car. You can make a 4 door cool by shaving the handles and suiciding the rear doors. But doing that will more than make up the difference you would pay for a two door model. But it only matters what you think about your car, if you think four doors are just as cool as two then go with what you like.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you really wanted to do some work...make the 4 door a 2 door. Personally...like has been said before...if you like it, drive it. I've seen a lot of cool 4 doors.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Yes some a-b body's had different frames for the 4 door. my 2 door cutlass is a little shorter in the frame than the 4 doors.

i am getting into the g-body 4 doors. mainly the caprice, just bought one for about 2000, why so high you say. the thing is mint. all it needs is paint. no rust Texas car. find a 60 and even a 70 car in this condition, there is no way you will find one for that price. i am also thinking of acquiring a 58 olds 88 4 door. smooth out the back doors and you will never know it was a 4 door, and i think looks better with the shorter front doors.

as mentioned, some cars do look hideous as a 4 door, some are decent, and others look like they should be that way. All depends on your taste.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts