Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to sale my car on line and receive an e-mail from a guy in England who says he wants it, He wanted to know my bottom dallor amount and when I told him there was no dickering about it he says he'll send me a check. I have not been holding my breath but I was just wondering if this is a normal bussiness proceedure when saleing things on line???? [email protected] or [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Sounds like scam territory. Get the check in your hand, take it to a bank and have them tell you its clear before you release the car. Tell them you have reason to suspect the check, some of these things take weeks to show that they're bad (the idea being that by that time the guy will be on the other side of the world with your car and you'll have no recourse).

Play it safe. The minute this guy start getting antsy you know he's trying to rip you off. To be honest, I think you probably have about a 90% chance of this being a scam, especially if he's offering to cut you a check on this car sight unseen.

K

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree

In our e-mailing I advised him he would not even get to touch the car till the check has cleared my bank. I do not believe for a second that some one would buy a car or anything else with out having some one check it out first. Then me I would not offer to buy anything with out first talking to the saler. Thanks for the reply

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Sounds fishy to me............. Is he by any chance sending more than you are asking and requesting that you deposit the check and then forward the rest to a "transportation company"? Happened to a guy here, the so called buyer was in England too or so he claimed. Even though the "certified" check initially cleared his bank it turned out to be a forgery and they came back on him for their money. He still had the car but then had to sell it to pay back the bank for the money they scammed.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I don't believe it is out of the ordinary any more to sell cars "sight unseen" via the internet. I would, however, be suspicious if the buyer has not been in a LOT of communication with you asking questions and getting answers along with requesting many many pictures etc.

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
You should've asked if he could come by after work. :D
There seems to be a signal that goes off somewhere when anything is being sold for over $100 that says "go scam this guy". Whenever I sell anything I always specify. "Local sale, Cash only". No problems.

Strummin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hippie hit the nail on the head.
This has been going on for years NBC had a show on it. It has nothing to do with your car. No one will show up to pick your car up. Its all about MONEY.
For one of various reasons they will send you a check for too much money ie:
we sent the wrong amount to the wrong person, or we sent $2000 extra please cash the check and send the $2000 to our shipping company.

Now you take the check to the back and deposit it in your account, the law says banks have to make this money availible to you within so many days, something like 3 or 7. So 7 days later you go to the bank and get $2000 out of your account and mail it (usually western union) to the fake "shipping company"

Now 30 days down the road the 1st check comes back as BAD and your in trouble for trying to pass a bad/fake check and your out $2000.

Duke

·
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up
282 Posts
customrodd1 said:
In our e-mailing I advised him he would not even get to touch the car till the check has cleared my bank. I do not believe for a second that some one would buy a car or anything else with out having some one check it out first. Then me I would not offer to buy anything with out first talking to the saler. Thanks for the reply
You want it to clear his bank also. I have heard were your bank (anyone's bank) will give it the ok, to later come back and say the funds are no longer available at the check writers bank.

Just beware

·
Registered
15 Posts
DUKEOFBLUZ said:
Hippie hit the nail on the head.
This has been going on for years NBC had a show on it. It has nothing to do with your car. No one will show up to pick your car up. Its all about MONEY.
For one of various reasons they will send you a check for too much money ie:
we sent the wrong amount to the wrong person, or we sent $2000 extra please cash the check and send the $2000 to our shipping company.

Now you take the check to the back and deposit it in your account, the law says banks have to make this money availible to you within so many days, something like 3 or 7. So 7 days later you go to the bank and get $2000 out of your account and mail it (usually western union) to the fake "shipping company"

Now 30 days down the road the 1st check comes back as BAD and your in trouble for trying to pass a bad/fake check and your out $2000.

Duke
My buddy got screwed by this exact scam but it was a fake money order. The bank called a few day's later with the bad news AFTER he wired the money back. He's out about a grand. He was trying to sell an older BMW that was a real German model (as opposed to one built for the USA) imported here in the '80's so he didn't think it was strange someone from another country wanted it.
I would skip that deal completely. There's alot of real buyers in this country.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
FUEL said:
I would skip that deal completely.
Before walking away, keep in mind there ARE legitimate alternatives. I use the wire transfer method. Costs a couple bucks for the buyer but my bank tells me it's bullet proof.

You can also use Escrow.Com. Buyer sends them the money you sent them the title. Once Escrow.Com verifies that the check is good they notify you to release the car for delivery. Once the car is in the hands of the shipper they send you your money and then send the buyer the title. Escrow.Com is the ONLY such agent fully endorsed by Ebay. If the check from the buyer is bad, Escrow.Com eats it...not you. Again, the service costs about $200 (price varies according to the value of the vehicle) but split between buyer and sellers it's not a bad way to gain peace of mind.

You can also demand cash...but highly unlikely for any overseas deal.

If you offer up a choice of any of the above options and the buyer balks and insists on using a personal check or cashiers check, THEN consider walking away from the deal...or requiring 30-60 days for the check to clear the buyers bank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sellin Online

BEWARE!!! I ran into the same offer when I was selling a '64 1/2 Mustang convertible several years ago. Fortunately, I have friends in the UK and had them check it out from that end. I was told the scam was part of a global car theft ring at that time. The plan was to pay me and I was to send him the title. He would then send a car hauler to pick up the Mustang. What was actually happening was that he would get the title and use it to title stolen vehicles for sale in another country. I would have been stuck with a car and no title.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just last sat I listed a rebuilt 305 tbi long block on ebay for a guy here in town and just for the heck of it I listed it on craigs list. since I've got 2 emails from a out of the states buyer saying:

1st email:

Hello,
I'm keller by name Based in Netherlands.I want to make enquiry about your (1991 305 / 5.0 Liter TBI LongBlock - $750) cos i want to buy it for my private use.What's the last price ,cos i intend coming to your location for the shipment and to see it ok.Waiting to hear from you.... pls let me know the price and more pics immediately.
regard's
k.keller

2nd email:

Many thanks for your mail,
i have seen the price and its ok by me then i will be paying via CHECK.meanwhlie i will include $1500 on the payment so you should expect a CHECK of $2,300. the excess is for my shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for the shipping of the item .i'll imploy you to wire the balance via western union money transfer to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the payment.My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specicified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?...but you should promise to sent the remaining fund's to my shipper for pick up so if this okay by you let me know...............so i can make the payment to you on time
Pls i need ur contact info,such as name in full,adress,ur city ur state ur zipcode ur phone#both cell and home.pls email me asap witt all details.Thanks.

I emailed him after the 1st email and said I said sounds like a scam to me. no deal. then he sent the 2nd email.

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lots of good advice

I have been selling extra parts and cars on eBay for a couple of years now. This scam comes across all the time. Please be careful.

This can ruin you if it goes to far. Just so you can read some stuff on this, you can always go to eBay site and then go to the help link. Believe me I learned a lot about this before I even joined. Helped me a lot with selling cars, parts, and even part cars.

Just don't want to see these creeps win out at this. Please be careful.

Just my couple of pennies....

Pappy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.