Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all my 350 SBC put together and when I primed it the oil pressure went skyhigh about 65 psi (the gauge is setup where the oil sending unit will be) on low setting on my drill and it bottomed out the guage when I set the drill to high. The next morning before work I picked up a new guage and tried it again that night. This gauge also says the same oil pressure. I know a little dewalt drill wont pump the oil as well as the motor will so Im a little concerned. IS this normal for a sbc to read that high?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is 65 PSI maxed out on your gauge?
I wouldn't worry about that much, even 80.
Assuming it's new, you should have heavy oil and lots of
different break in lubes in it, so that's pretty normal.
Are you using a high volume pump or what part number?

·
Registered
15,326 Posts
deiselpower said:
I finally got all my 350 SBC put together and when I primed it the oil pressure went skyhigh about 65 psi (the gauge is setup where the oil sending unit will be) on low setting on my drill and it bottomed out the guage when I set the drill to high. The next morning before work I picked up a new guage and tried it again that night. This gauge also says the same oil pressure. I know a little dewalt drill wont pump the oil as well as the motor will so Im a little concerned. IS this normal for a sbc to read that high?
Normalish, the pressure should come down as the oil heats up. A 600 RPM idle on cold oil should be on the pressure relief or close to it at 50 to 65 psi, that should drop to 20-30 psi once the oil gets toasty warm. That usually takes a lot longer than what it takes to get the coolant up to temp. You could see 20 minutes on a summer day where you live to get the oil up to temp to where the pressure finally tapers down.

If you put in a high volume pump, it might just stay on the pressure relief all the time, not really that big of thing, you could go to a thinner weight oil if it really bugs you.

Bogie

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
I have 70-75 at idle when the oil is cold. Drops to 50-52 when warm. I wouldnt worry about it. Get it running and see what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.