Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '78 Faimont that I'm modifying for all out auto cross (parking lot racing) and a '89 T-bird. I know the suspension and rear axle under the T-bird are wider, but were does the front suspension gain its width? K-member? Control arms? Does the rear axle bolt up to the Faimont despite the extra width? Or is its width gained between the control links? My intent is to make the car as wide as possible for stability. I'll be using FoMoCo Road racing springs (Mustang), and '94 M Gt sway bars. (The T-bird is ONLY a parts car.)

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Isn't an 89 T bird an independant rear end? Completely different from Fairmont. The width is from the design. No (or very few) components are interchangable. Fairmont is solid rear axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The T-Bird I have is a MY '89 and it has a solid rear axle and a strut front end, that both look very similiar to the Fairmont. I'm not sure when Ford started producing the independant rear end.

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
From what I understand, which isn't much, they are both built on the Fox platform, along with the Mustang.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:thumbup: Wooohhooo! This one is up my alley! Ok, first things first. Ford killed the Fox-Bird in '89, and replaced it with the IRS car in '90, I believe. They did kill the TC in '88. Ford made up for the width through the control arms. They will bolt right under any fox. You will need the rod ends at very least, as they are longer too. The 'bird may have a quicker rack in it too, so check that out. TC's have the quick ratio one, 2,5 turns stop to stop. Everything else up front will swap. The 'bird should have bigger brakes, so swap the spindles out while your at it. Ford changed the width of the spindle where it attaches to the strut. The newer ones are narrower. Just use the struts from the donor. The rear ends also swap too. The wheels will stick out 1/2-3/4" more in the rear if you run Mustang wheels. Do yourself a favor, pick up a set of caster camber plates. They will help out quite a bit. On my car, I have -3.5 deg of camber. I had about -5 deg on one side without the plates. You'll also want a set to get a bit more caster. My car was at 0 deg before them. I made up a set of off-set delrin bushings for the lower arms. I moved 'em about 3/4" foreward by doing this. I think I'm sitting around 3 deg right now. Other thing to note, the '87-8 TC's had 8.8's with disc brakes. They will bolt right in. The ones from auto cars(single exhaust) have 3:55's, while the 5-spd(dual exhaust) have 3:73's. The rear shock mounts are different on the axles, so you'll need the ones from the donor car. The brake hose on pre '86 foxes drop down to the passenger side of the dif., while later ones drop down in the middle. If you do run a disc rearend, you will need a different master cyl. I used one out of a '94 Crown Vic with an '88 LX 5.0 brakebooster. Sorry about the rant. Here's a few pix of my car, http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=90052746 We ran it against 77 cars at the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge last year. Despite only having one gear in the trans,(aarrrgghhh! Just when you think you have it sorted!:spank: ) we took an 8th place in the auto-x portion of the contest. Not bad for a BB-car! If you have any other questions, let me know!:p

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
'89 was the first year of the "new" T-bird platform, with independent rear suspension, double-wishbone front suspension, and no available V8 engine.

The '88s were the last of the Fox T-birds. The front control arms are indeed longer than those of the other Fox cars. The rear ends are also about 1.5" wider, with the pre-mid-'85 cars using the same housing width as the others, but with longer axles and offset brake drums. In mid-'85, they went to a wider axle housing to set the bearings farther out on the axles (axles are not interchangeable, the older ones are not machined that far out), and they used non-offset brake drums.

In case you need to rebuild the Fox T-bird front control arms, Ford Motorsport offers a set of arms marketed for the late-'90s Mustangs with better bushings & ball joints for ~$150/pair, part number M-3075-D, which just happen to be a bolt-in for the Bird parts, and that's about as much as you'll spend for bushings & ball joints for the old arms. I got mine at www.oemfordparts.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts