Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are using my grandfathers ford f-150 for some stuff and it is starting to get a wierd smell to it. I haven't smelled anything like this before so it isn't any of the normal stuff. All of the stuff I have worked on are automatic transmissions but this is a manual so I'm thinking it might be something to do with that. When I checked the fluid it was fine. Is there anything that I'm missing?

·
Registered
721 Posts
It may sound silly, But check for a mouse nest on the engine. The little critters have been responsible for a few weird smells that Iv'e found over the years as a garage mechanic. The worst was a shorty screwdriver melted to the heat riser runner of an intake manifold. I had used it in the throttle linkage to raise the rpms about two weeks earlier when I charged up the customers A/C. OPPS!!

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
A shower perhaps? just kidding

Where do you smell the smell? Under the hood when it's running, when the engine is cold, both. Inside both running and not running. Is it a musty smell that you notice when the heater is on?

more details needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually it stopped doing it yesterday but we've been watching it. We were on the interstate when we smelled it and I'm pretty sure it was from under the hood or from that area. It wasn't anything to do with the heater. We had the windows down, it's in the mid to high 70's here. I'm thinking the smell was either the brakes or the clutch

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It turns out it was the A/C compressor

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
thanks for letting us know. god i must be a sick man. i think like ghetto jet, or rather he thinks like me. i was gonna say that old men have a smell all their own heeheee. i guess i'm gettin there myself. other than that, till you found out what it was, i was gonna say oil that spilled but then burned off but since yu did say i'll tell you that when i drove my mom's cadillac up here from vegas last feb that the a/c clutch started lockin up and stinkin like it was on fire. i was lucky in that there were other fan belts to the essentials: alternator and water pump, so i was able to cut off the fan belt to the a/c and go on my merry way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.