Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a 700-R4 from a blazer with a 2.8L engine and I have a blazer with the 4.3 that needs a transmission. I assume the r4 from the 2.8 will bolt right up to the 4.3, but one of my friends told me that there are tons of different bolt patterns forthe 700-R4. So anyway, will the700-R4 that came off the 2.8 fit on the 4.3?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
M&M CUSTOM said:
No it will not fit, the bolt pattern for the 2.8 V6 is shared with a few other 4 cylinder engines, a few other V6 engines like the 3400 and 3800 and not much else.
Actually, this is the GM metric bolt pattern which is used on most of the current GM engines. All 60 degree V6 motors (2.8. 3.1, and 3.4 displacements) plus the Series II and newer Buick 90 degree V6 motors (older Buick V6s used the BOP bolt pattern). Also the Northstar uses a version of this bolt pattern. One bolt is off and the top of the bellhousing needs to be notched to clear the starter, but the S10 700R4 is the usual trans for converting the Northstar to RWD applications.

Of course, as you correctly point out, the 4.3 uses the normal Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
4.3L v-6 chevy

200 v-6 chevy

3.8L 229 chevy

most of the old L and I-6 engines

the old gmc truck v-6 engines 305 351 and 478 and such

are the 90 degree chevy bolt pattern

anything else besides these and the chevy v-8 engines are 60 degree pattern, wont work

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
klutchmaster427 said:
For lack of a better word.....****.
Is there an adapter for the bellhousing for the 700r4 like there is for some of the older trannys?
What, to adapt the metric bolt pattern to a Chevy? Why? Correct 700R4 transmissions are plentiful and not expensive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
joe_padavano said:
What, to adapt the metric bolt pattern to a Chevy? Why? Correct 700R4 transmissions are plentiful and not expensive.
You have a good point. I can get a 700r4 pretty much any day for 1-200 bucks...Im sure I'd probably be paying at least 50-100 for an adapter. Aside from price, would the power of the 4.3 burn up the 2.8 tranny if I were to find an adapteR?

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Forget about the adapter.... many traditional bell TH700R4 transmissions are available.

The 4.3 engine crankshaft cannot accommodate the 2.8 torque converter pilot. It's just totally different. You could swap TC in and out but then you run into input spline count issues depending on year.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,982 Posts
mmerlinn said:
And not the Buick, not the early Jeep, not the late Jeep, not the Jaguar, not the Rolls Royce, not the round top Cadillac, and not the flat top Cadillac.

Thanks Merlin.

I never thought of these. :)

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
mmerlinn said:
And not the Buick, not the early Jeep, not the late Jeep, not the Jaguar, not the Rolls Royce, not the round top Cadillac, and not the flat top Cadillac.
I've got a flat top caddy t-400.. not many folks remember those

:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.