Hot Rod Forum banner

Will a Straight six bolt up to C-6 Transmission

6571 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  eloc431962
I bought 1966 F100 Truck, it has 9 bolt rear end, C-6 Transmission, and a 352 V-8.
Question: I have a rolling chassis (1980 F150 short bed Explorer with a straight six installed). Plan is to elongate the frame, will the C-6 bolt up to the straight six engine. Big question is will the cab have to be moved ( back or forth ) or will I have to cut the tips of the frame off the front?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I believe Ford used the FE engine until 1974, or 5, I also know Ford used the 300 six for a long time, in the pickups.

I would think that you should not have to do major body mods to get the six in there.

I know the 300 six is a great torquey truck engine due to it's about 4 inch bore, and stroke. Great truck engine, and fairly economical, considering it is moving a 5000 plus pound vehicle, that has about as much aerodymanics as the broad side of a barn.

Here is an idea. Take the 352, bore it out to 360/390 size. (40.050) Get 390 pistons, and a 390 crankshaft. You now have a 390. You could also get a 428 Crankshaft, rods, and torque plate, and make a 410. The 410 is a torquey engine because it almost has the same bore and stroke specs as the 300 six, but with two more cylinders.
Will a straight six bolt mup to a C-6 transmaiion?

Look back to the Ford inline 250 and 300 six. They were both offered originally with an optional C-6 on special order. I'm sure their may be a special bell housing but his combination isn't anything out the ordinary. Call a local Ford specialty shop and ask them. If you don't have one call Speedway in Indianapolis, IN.
Normbc9
I bought 1966 F100 Truck, it has 9 bolt rear end, C-6 Transmission, and a 352 V-8.
Question: I have a rolling chassis (1980 F150 short bed Explorer with a straight six installed). Plan is to elongate the frame, will the C-6 bolt up to the straight six engine. Big question is will the cab have to be moved ( back or forth ) or will I have to cut the tips of the frame off the front?
No need to elongate the frame to put the straight 6 in that truck. you will need different engine stands which you can cut from another or buy aftermarket. the C6 will not bolt to the 6 cyl engine you will need a C4 or well something off of a 302 to a 351 cleveland/windsor maybe some others . but that fact of the matter is you do not have to cut that fram and make it longer for the engine swap:nono:. and if i left anything out or think of something else i will let you know, or someone else will chime in and do it.:thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:
You sure its a C6 and not an FMX? A windsor bolt pattern bell from a C 6 will fit the 300.The FE pattern was different.
You sure its a C6 and not an FMX? A windsor bolt pattern bell from a C 6 will fit the 300.The FE pattern was different.
X2 i forgot about that one.:spank: so is the C6 you have bolted up to the 352 that you have ?

Cole
:pimp:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.