Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine bought old farm with barn and couple old engines and old truck in it without carburetor. He wants to use truck just on property, hauling light stuff around so he doesn't need any high speed performance. He has Dual jet carb from seized 260 engine . Mounting holes match exactly. Will this work ?Highest speed he will ever go is probably 30-40mph .

·
Registered
71 Posts
carb

if it will bolt on and you can get a throttle cable to it then it should work fine for your intended purposes. It will be a touch small but you shouldn't notice this on the farm.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
carb swap

IF the linkage lines up ok shouldnt have a problem, since the base plate bolt patterns match. You will probably have to tinker with the idle settings some and maybe some rejetting for the larger engine. And the fact of it is, he probably wouldnt know the difference on the road either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yep. so long as everything lines up. probably will have to tune it all stright but yeah if all the holes and linkage line up he'll be fine just make sure he uses a new gasket ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for replies, We will put it in tomorrow . I was concerned that higher vacuum from 350 ( used to have 4barrel ) will flood 2barrel . I think that vacuum is higher in 350 then in 260, but I usually worry too much.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
vacuum

Vacuum shouldnt be a problem. I would imagine that the 2 bbl versions of the 350 probably dont use a much larger carb than does that 260. And vacuum is a good thing to have.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
You might want to look down the throats and see if the carb outlets and intake holes line up and are the same size. You could have some reversion effects if the carb is larger than the intakes. I imagine, since it's use will be strictly utility, you could probably open up (flare to match) one or the other (carefully...) if needed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you attempt to install a Dueljet carb on a Quadrajet intake, you will find a very large vacuum leak around the rear of the carb...........Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His carb doesn't have that vacuum outlet next to the red arrow and foot of a carb is continuous and there are no openings to the outside from 2" bores .
Should I seal those big bores ? What would be the best thing to do to prevent vacuum leaks in this case ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the carb he has, will cover all the holes in the intake, he should be in good shape.

As far as sealing the rear bores, you may try and cut a thin piece of sheet metal to cover the holes in the gasket. This would prevent vacuum from entering the hollow rear portion of the carb body and finding another path to escape. Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts