Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. What items will fit from a 1986 Grand Prix to a 1981 Monte Carlo? I may have to give up the Grand Prix, but I will gut it first.
Mainly Im wondering about the heater core.

Another thought....will the frames be able to swap? And is this a doable thing for me in a basic garage?

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
It will probably fit, but to confirm look up both on a site like rock auto .com, compare part #'s
The frame will be a direct swap, not hard to do just time consuming and heavy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Chassis swaps

BMM said:
Hello. What items will fit from a 1986 Grand Prix to a 1981 Monte Carlo? I may have to give up the Grand Prix, but I will gut it first.
Mainly Im wondering about the heater core.

Another thought....will the frames be able to swap? And is this a doable thing for me in a basic garage?
Now you need to just make some simple measurements to verify your plans. You need to pay attention to the body mount locations. First off, check from the centerline of your third member and measure everything from this central point under neath your MC and then follow the same route under the GP.

I really do not think of this as being a good swap anyways. The MC chassis is built alot tougher then the GP chassis. Unless your MC is all rotted out from rust. Then you are at the mercy of your mounting locations. Your biggest worry would actualy be the lenght of the GP chassis.
It might be shorter by about 6" to 10".

Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, that sucks. Why is it weaker? Thinner metal, or just less bracing? Thanks guys.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Both cars are GM G-Body, the frames should be virtualy identical. The wheel base, frame length, width, strength, etc. is the same. The entire suspention front and rear will interchange.
One is not tougher or weaker than the other.
One thing you will find different is the trans crossmember mounts, they changed when the 200-4R was installed in them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I did figure the crossmembers would be different, that is a pretty easy change right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts