Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 94 firebird. It currently has the 3.4? in it.

My buddie that has it said I can't run a carb if I get it.

Is this true? Can I modify the firewall or cowl area?

These cars have got to take a carbed engine!

My Vortec is going in something. I want it to be that 94.
if not the firechicken
it could be a supra with 4.30s or this camaro:

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I know that I have a few bodies to choose from. I'm really just curious of fitting the 350 w/carb under the cowl of a late model 'bird or camaro, if anybodies ever tried, seen it done or even has some info.

I also would like to know if I can mod the rear trailing arms to increase forward bite. I read that I can increase the angle of the trailing arms to plant the differential. Would this be better to raise the mounting point on the chassis or lower the mount on the axel housing? Should i move the top arm or the bottom?

Does the '94 even have 4 arms or are they like the '80s 3 point with the long link to the trans?

Thanks again

This Camaro:

Attachments

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
The only reason you would not be able to run the carbed engine may be emissions laws.Other than that,of course you can put it in there.If small blocks can be put in Geo Storms,than the Firebird should be a cakewalk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A carbed 350 will fit no problem. With what intake and air cleaner under the stock hood I'm not sure. You'd be best off asking over at LS1.com

As for the rear trailing arms, there are two(3rd and 4th gens have exactly the same rearend setup). You can fab up your own relocation brackets are just buy them for about $60. They mount to the rear axle. Going to a rod ended tubular lower control arm will also help as well as using a shorter torque arm. I would suggest an adjustable de-coupled torque arm if plan to do any autox or road racing as well. If all you really care about is street/strip then there is also a truck style long trailing arm kit out there. It mounts up to the transmission crossmember. I can't recall who makes it at the moment. Finally one other rearend option, if you decide to keep the panhard bar setup, is to also get Unbalanced Engineerings panhard bar adjustable relocation brackets. This is a great mod if you want to plant the rear better going into and coming out of corners. Otherwise you're better off mounting up a vette IRS :p

·
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi RegaMaro,
I have basically a Victor vortec intake. I'm going to look at the car today. I thought it would work(I've puts a 350 in an s10 and Rx7 before). He has put a 360 dodge into a 240 sx. He told me it wouldn't work. I'm going to look at it today.

As far as the rearend, is what I'm hearing is I need to lower the mounting points on the axle housing to increase forward bite?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure what your 350 combo is like but any high rise intake may be giving you clearance problems with the hood once the carb and air cleaner are on top of that. A performer rpm or Weiand stealth might be an easier fit if you dont want a cowl hood or have to make due for a short time. It will all bolt in totally fine, you just may have to play with different air cleaner assembly ideas.

Lowering the axle mounting points may help some with forward bite yes. Spohn makes a $60 bracket or you can make your own. This however will put more strain on the control arms, panhard bar and torque arm(all are quite a flimsy design). So then you can get into tubular control arms, panhard bar and torque arm which will really stiffen up the rear to plant some power down with slicks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts