Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 Camaro with a ZZ454 GM crate motor. I have a Tremec TKX 5 speed and a Moser Trac loc posi 373 gear on order. I currently have a holley 850 dp carb on top. I live in Texas, so other than the heat of July/August, the weather is pretty consistent (unfortunately we have to deal with about 3 weeks of winter, but we seem to survive. I do not have to deal with altitude issues or any of that sort of thing. Now, I like carbs. I like the mechanical nature relative to an old car, but I want to get as much performance as I can out of my set up. Based on the enormous amount of money I have put in the car (basically the only thing that is original is the body!), another $XXX for EFI is not out of the question. However....is the juice worth the squeeze? Start up, warm up, response, tunability (is that a word?), fuel economy (don't really care).....will I see noticeable gains, or is is just more jewelry for an already terrific engine compartment? As always, your input is appreciated!

·
Administrator
9,809 Posts
Moving to Fuel Injection forum

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I would say it's a draw! You don't have altitude change to deal with and lots of cold weather. Drivability (EFI) will be the same as your new family car, start it up, pull it into gear and go. Engine longevity will be better with EFI because each cylinder will get exactly what it need under all conditions. Tuning with EFI could be a plus or minus depending on your system and your learning curve. Tuff call.

·
Registered
235 Posts
your power will remain about the same. You will be able to fine tune the fuel curve in more than 1 set up if you buy something good. At3k for a set up and purchase minus maybe 3-5 hundred on old carb? You decide.

·
Registered
962 Posts
As others have said, your circumstance will be a wash. If you are happy with your carb, stay with it.
Not like you have a mountain between you and Corinth. Only a bridge LOL!
My buddy from Little Elm just sold his shop, and moved to Florida. The weather is even nicer down there!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As others have said, your circumstance will be a wash. If you are happy with your carb, stay with it.
Not like you have a mountain between you and Corinth. Only a bridge LOL!
My buddy from Little Elm just sold his shop, and moved to Florida. The weather is even nicer down there!
So funny that you know Corinth. I actually moved to Sanger not too long ago. On the edge of the plains! Thanks for the info 👍

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your power will remain about the same. You will be able to fine tune the fuel curve in more than 1 set up if you buy something good. At3k for a set up and purchase minus maybe 3-5 hundred on old carb? You decide.
Thanks.....I think that’s kind of where I’m at. Once I get past the new tranny and rear end it will be a whole new world. The car is a wimp at the moment. Just looking for an edge 👍

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say it's a draw! You don't have altitude change to deal with and lots of cold weather. Drivability (EFI) will be the same as your new family car, start it up, pull it into gear and go. Engine longevity will be better with EFI because each cylinder will get exactly what it need under all conditions. Tuning with EFI could be a plus or minus depending on your system and your learning curve. Tuff call.
Lots to take in....I like it old school. The car was born the same year I was. EFI is like me
Getting a new hip....probably not ready for that 😂

·
Registered
962 Posts
So funny that you know Corinth. I actually moved to Sanger not too long ago. On the edge of the plains! Thanks for the info 👍
I lived in Denton County for a few years of my life. LOL!
Isn't there a really nice restoration shop up there near Sanger? Maybe Aubrey? I worked there about a week, but that part of my life is kinda hazy...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lived in Denton County for a few years of my life. LOL!
Isn't there a really nice restoration shop up there near Sanger? Maybe Aubrey? I worked there about a week, but that part of my life is kinda hazy...
The shop I use is Robinson's Restorations. Boris is a good dude....its relatively close to Sanger (10 miles) but considered Denton. There are a few good independent guys that do work on the side here and there, but since basically everything on the car is new, a shop is a better option since I have warranties on everything in place.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It is up to you. your 454zz crate engine makes ton of power and torque, a system like the gm ramjet efi holley ram will up the torque under the peak. and give better start ups. But It isn't going to be a huge difference.
The cost is hard to eat, when you already have the carb and all the fuel and ign. parts on a running engine.
The redoing of fuel lines, wiring for the pump, the ign. BUT the reason cars today got 250+ miles without the engine needing a rebuild is the EFI not washing the cyl walls on cold starts, and putting crap in the oil from a rich fueling.
If you drive the wheels off this car the extra engine life might be worth it. but if it never see 100k miles under it's wheels, it is a hard pill to swallow if you don't have mountains to climb over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is up to you. your 454zz crate engine makes ton of power and torque, a system like the gm ramjet efi holley ram will up the torque under the peak. and give better start ups. But It isn't going to be a huge difference.
The cost is hard to eat, when you already have the carb and all the fuel and ign. parts on a running engine.
The redoing of fuel lines, wiring for the pump, the ign. BUT the reason cars today got 250+ miles without the engine needing a rebuild is the EFI not washing the cyl walls on cold starts, and putting crap in the oil from a rich fueling.
If you drive the wheels off this car the extra engine life might be worth it. but if it never see 100k miles under it's wheels, it is a hard pill to swallow if you don't have mountains to climb over.
That hj
that is great advice. I would be lucky to get 5000 miles under this car in a year. I think I will be sticking with the carb. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a 67 ss small block back in the 70s. I got it to run 11.9s at 113-114 with angle plug service heads. You could smash that with a rat. The car is super east to set up

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
The feeling you get driving a classic car that runs so smooth is worth the dollars right there.
When I put the TPI on my pickup, I was in heaven.
Swapped a GEN III 5.3 into the El Camino, and grins every time I drive it.
Love it. Oh, until it breaks down that is...hasn't yet, but just like my computer at home, it will one day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a 67 ss small block back in the 70s. I got it to run 11.9s at 113-114 with angle plug service heads. You could smash that with a rat. The car is super east to set up
I posted a little while back about the set up I have chosen (current zz454, new TKX 5 speed close ratio, and the new moser 373 Ford 9in and what I could expect vs. the current ZZ454, Muncie M20 4 speed, and 3:55 10 bolt open diff I have now. The response was pretty strong it would be a completely different car. As it sits now I am not getting any power to the ground. The carb question came from that post, but it doesn’t seem like the EFI will make much difference except for tunability and easier start ups.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,371 Posts
i talked to a guy at a show with ez efi throttle body on his 69 Camaro. he said it was the best money spent, no more cold start or rough idle issues. fewer oil changes. my 58 truk has the ramjet 350 in it, best thing i ever did. money well spent, for 10 years all i do in the spring is turn the key, truk starts right up, every time

his hid under the stock air cleaner

if cost is in the picture, zz454, new TKX 5 speed close ratio, and the new moser 373 Ford 9in, none of that would be

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Biggest benefit of efi is tuning. Not a big deal if your running NA and generally only drive the thing on sunny days.
But when you get into things like forced induction and nitrous then you want a computer making adjustments to potentially save a engine.
Takes a couple month to build and couple tenths to destroy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Biggest benefit of efi is tuning. Not a big deal if your running NA and generally only drive the thing on sunny days.
But when you get into things like forced induction and nitrous then you want a computer making adjustments to potentially save a engine.
Takes a couple month to build and couple tenths to destroy.
How ever did we manage before efi

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have you run the 1/4 yet? MPH tells you the horse power. If it just blazes the tires then you gotta fix that first. Tie the subs and Lakewoods are all you need to start. Slicks if you want low 12s/high 11s?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts