·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the build so far
edelbrock e-tech 200s
11:1 bal. and blueprinted 388
forged rods & kb flat tops

cam I am considering is hyd. roller 224/235 dur.
at .50 .495/.505 108*/108*

does anyone have a combo similar/ how is it?

mine will be going in a 86 monte ss 3:73 posi, with probably a t-10 4 speed if everything goes right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My thoughts are: not enough cam if your going to run pump gas, too much exhaust duration and not enough lift. I'd use 1.6/1.5 rockers.

But what is your goal? Is this just a weekend toy?

I would consider this mechanical roller cam: 12-772-8
You can have it ground "straight up" on a 108 LSA and the same duration Int/Exh or just a little more (2 to 4 degrees) exhaust.

If you don't like the "street roller core", they can do it on a billet core. A non-bronze distributor gear is available: Dist Gear that lives longer with billet cores.
I heard an unconfirmed report that they can also do a billet core with a pressed on iron gear... maybe one of the engine builders can confirm or deny this for us.

For a hyd roller consider this one: 12-433-8

Edelbrocks Performer RPM hyd roller if you need more vacuum and a better idle, Part# 2201
With this one you could change over to fuel injection later and not have to change cams. The 112 LSA won't pull as hard to peak HP as a narrower LSA 110, 108, 106 etc... while equipped with a carb though.

For me it boils down to a compromise, HP/TQ verses what you think you can live with for idle quality and vacuum.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
388, 86 Monte street car, Stick shift, T-10, true 11/1 comp, with driver in it, full fuel, AC, will weigh around 4000.

I have to conclude that this is a street performance car, with some drag fun. :D

With decent flowing heads
you could use a single pattern cam of 226* on a lobe center of 106-7 with 1.6 rockers for all the lift you can get (for top end power), which would preserve the mid range and add overlap to help with the fuel. Might run power brakes at 900 rpm.

If you like a little more cam, a 234 on 107-8 LSA with 1.6 rockers.

Judicious use of vacuum advance is called for.
The lopey idle is nothing for a stick shift.

If you can do solids, go for it. Just remember that solids measure differently due to lash. When you look at numbers, it is not apples to apples because of lash.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
That is a very small cam for that application if you are looking to make some serious power. We have done 406's and 421 small blocks with that head.

Given your compression I'd not be scared of going 240 degrees for the intake duration and you only need around 6 extra degrees of exhaust duration. Since it's a roller get the valve into the .550 range as the heads flow to that point and don't stall. I'd go with a 110 LDA installed at 106 ICL.

It will make very good power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I now have a different set of heads, wheeln and dealn.
made money on the e-tecs and bought a nicer new set of trick flow r 215 w/1530 d/s for .680 lift flat tappet/hyd. roller. Many have told me these are a better choice for the direction I'm headed.

car is to be more of the street warrior,but I would like to hold my own at the local 1/8th too....for once would like my cake and eat it too!

car does not have tranny in it yet, still collecting parts for the pedals/clutch components.... so an automatic is not out of the question, heck might be part of the question!

I appreciate the input guys, I am quite the amatuer at this.... through the question of that cam out because it was available to me cheap!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts