Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 70 model camaro,and I am putting a 454 bored 30 10.2 compression alum. heads. I figure about 550 horses hopefully,but any way the trans is a super street fighter TCI 3800 stall converter.What I was wondering if the 10 can handle the power.I know I'm going to put a new posi unit and Richmond gears I think 4:10 ratio,but I'm not sure on the posi unit,I don't have c clip eliminators either.Just any info on what I could do to this rear end to make it stay together would be greatly appreciated thanks for looking

·
More for Less Racer
19,476 Posts
Camaro 10-bolt rear

If it's a 8.5" rear just us quality parts and careful assembly, c-clip eliminators
would be a smart choice and neccesary if you are going to race it on a
sanctioned track. I've put over 300 1/4 mile passes and 30,000 street miles
on mine behind a 580 hp 406 that lifts the front tires and runs an 11.50 sec. 1/4 mile on pump gas and have encountered zero problems. Several friends
are doing the same. Might also consider a girdle cover just for the added
insurance. : :D D

·
More for Less Racer
19,476 Posts
'70 Camaro rear

C-clip eliminators are easy to install, but you need to have a hydraulic shop
press to press them onto the axle. If you don't have one, just go to a local friendly repair garage and have a tech do it for you- it's only about a 20 minute job max. Works just fine with the stock brakes or with aftermarket
discs. :mwink:

·
More for Less Racer
19,476 Posts
re: will this differential hold up

Hey again. I'm currently using a stock posi unit out of a 1976 Trans Am but
at 11.50 in the 1/4 mile I'm starting to worry that I'm getting close to the limit of the stock spider gears and the stock cross-pin and I'm looking around for aftermarket stuff to replace these pieces before this season. A whole new Eaton or Auburn would beef things up if you want to spend the money.
We are running 1.65 sec. in the 60 ft times and haven't broke one (stock) yet so I don't know where the explosion point is yet. Hope this helps! :welcome:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts