Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Corvette with a 69 350. The engine was a crate engine 350/350 short block when inatslled in 69. I was told by the guy who owned the car it has 11:1 forged pistons. It has 186 heads which I beleive are 2.02 and 1.6 valves. I have an Edelbrock RPM intake, Demon 750 VS, MSD ignition. Hooker headers into sidepipes. The car is a 4spd with a 3:08 rear but I have Doug Nash 5 spd to put in.

Now the question. I'm looking for some more umph. Would a Lunati 268 be to agressive for this set up?
1800-6200rpm 227/273 .489/.504

Thanks

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I dont think so. You have plenty compression to make that cam work just fine. You could actually go bigger. The only thing I see that needs attention would be the rear end.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
is the 268 the High eff cam.....? check out the specs of the bracket master II cam... Lunati cam number 00012, car shaker, Also the street master 07103 another car shaker

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
I wasn't sure if the stock gm head, even the big valve version would flow enough for a bigger cam. Next question. The heads have press in rocker studs. The recommended springs for the 268 and the bracket master II are 110 Lbs Seat Pressure @ 1.750 Installed Height, 345 Lbs Open Pressure. Do I need to replace the studs with screw in? Can I do that with the heads on the car? Also how do I insure the engine will tolerate the 5.15 lift of the bracket master?

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
The problem is you where told by someone about the motor. Are you for sure about the compression and anything else about the motor - like can the valve springs hadle what you through in there.... All kinds of things can be wrorg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldsmo said:
The problem is you where told by someone about the motor. Are you for sure about the compression and anything else about the motor - like can the valve springs hadle what you through in there.... All kinds of things can be wrorg
The guy that told me about the engine was a previous owner I found. He claims that he had it installed and I have pics of him with the car. The date codes on the block and heads and CE engine code support his statement. I pulled the pan and looked around. It has a forged crank, 4 bolt mains, windage tray, HV oil pump, pink rods, trap door 6qt oil pan and the crank was engraved by a speed shop that it was balanced in 1969. All the internals have gm casting numbers. The pistons have a TRW mark on the underside. So, I am pretty sure it is what he said it is but I have not pulled the heads.
Thanks for all responses.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'd think you could use an even more aggressive cam in your motor. an old trick i used to do 30 years ago when putting in bigger cams in chevy motors was to pin the rocker studs. this involed drilling a small hole crosswise through the rocker stud boss and stud and driving a roll pin into the hole. i spun 283's and 327's to the stratosphere using this trick with big solid cams. however i havnt done this in many years. i'd say screw in studs would be better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts