Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year i will be running a 450hp 406sbc i have almost everything i need to upgrade the current 406 but im looking into Aftermarket oil pans and windage trays and such and wondering if it is really worth it at this performance level?

Im using a stock 5qt that i had kicking around and im going to replace it regardless im just wondering if its worth it to upgrade to the milodon/moroso street/strip pan?

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
windage trays and crank scrapers are never a bad idea.

they definantly free up hp

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Windage=waste!

Windage trays and crank scrapers are a good idea ,unless you are using a roller cam and lifters.Then its not such a good idea because the lifters receive part of their oiling from crank windage,so you do not want to limit the amount of oil needed to insure the reliability of a roller setup.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's a good idea to have a deep sump pan and windage tray. You want to keep oil away from splashing on moving parts, plus you want to keep ample oil to the oil pump. Windage tray also helps to prevent oil from sloshing up the sides when turning. Roller lifters do not need any splashing of oil. If they did it would be impossible to keep them all equally lubricated. Normal oil galleries do the job. I've found Moroso has the best variety and best systems

1 - 4 of 4 Posts