Hot Rod Forum banner

Window falls down when i roll it up or down sometimes.

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bdv 
#1 ·
got a t 72 nova and one of the bottom window "hinges" that roll to push the window up pops out and the other one eventually pops out since it is just hanging by one.

It only does this when i close the door with the window rolled down or if i hit a bump.

anyt houghts

thanks,

b

#2 ·
well, i'm not sure what aftermarket parts are available for that car, but if it were me, i would take off the door panel and take out the window regulator assembly. i would find out what was wrong with it exactly and either buy new parts to replace or fabricate something that would work.

JB

#3 ·
Tracks are probably loose or missing retaining nuts or even plastic sliders, take the door panel off (use the proper tool!) and check, as soon as it's apart it will be obvious what is wrong...missing roller...broken strut bar...junkyards make good hunting grounds.

Remember, you could repair almost anything in the window mechanism with simple fabrication and a few fasteners. Sometimes it's easier to remove the entire assy, it comes through the top of the door...remove the entire window seal if your going to do that-CAREFULLY!

#4 ·
Funny, I've never known of a front door window fall-down problem in the 68-74 Novas. The rear quarter windows seem to have a tendency to fall into the netherworld, though. Once upon a time my wife and I were in the back seat of a friends Nova. As soon as we got belted up we both cranked down the windows. As the handle stopped turning my friend says "Hey, don't roll down the....". That's when both glasses fell into the quarters. We went on our outing adn took the women home, then spent 2 or 3 hours in the driveway removing the back seat, rear interior panels..........la la la.... to repair/tighten/adjust the quarter glasses. BUMMER.

#5 ·
it's missing the "plastic" washers or sliders that roll.

how do i get the sliders things on because it visually looks impossible to put in.

does the slider go in the window part first or on the arms "brackets that push it up.

are junkyards the only place to get these?

#7 ·
i had the same problem on my 1971 nova, i swapped them plastic things for 1966 mustang slider rolls, these are held in place by a pin, or a bent nail will do just fine, these things are available thru mustang parts supliers although i just got them at pepboys while i was on a trip in your country they were in the red carton and plastic "HELP" i believe they are called they als carry window cranks and tie rod boots and stuff like that. hope this helps a bit

regards Bas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.