Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 71 chevelle and am going to have to replace the driver side quarter panel. I am curious if I can leave the rear glass in while doing this as I have no shop and I am trying to save the interior. :pimp: thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Takeing them out is fairly easy. Get a guitar string nothing 2 wide, 2 pair of vicegrips, and a helper one inside and one outside. (after you remove the window trim.) carefully put a small hole thru the sealant, insert the wire and work it like a band saw. (it may take a bit of practice to get in unison with your partner.) The person on the inside puts a little pressure on the window. Just enough to keep it from resealing. once you get so far you can put a piece of card board between the window and frame to keep it from sealing up on you. when your all the way thru carefully lift it out. Instilation is easier you can get the sealing tape from almost any good parts store. The key here is to be careful to not put too much preassure on the window while cutting out and reseating.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Believe me, if you are man enough to replace the quarter, you are certainly man enough to remove and install the window! :pimp:

You are GOING to have to remove it anyway, there IS rust there. Every single GM car of that vintage has "some" rust there. The ONLY way to fix it properly, is to remove the window.

The rear window is tempered glass, it is very tough, unlike the windshield which easily breaks. A cut out knife and a little time and it is good as out. The piano wire is a possiblility as well.

If you want to you can cut the window out, and while you are not working on the car, just set the window in and duct tape around it. Then you can easily pull it out to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.