Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day I was wiping off my keyboard and ever since that day when I hit alt+ctrl+delete the Windows task manager will display only the tasks, no blue bar on top with the little X, no file tabs to see processor and memory usage, etc. See pic.

Attachments

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA Doncha love windows XP? I have been fighting with it for a week to try and get sp2 to work with everything else with no luck:smash: I dont think you could hit anything to do that but maybe there is a secret series of keys you accidentaly pushed? If thats your only problem consider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The Pepsi syndrome.
As the doctor on HEE Haw used to say when someone would complain "doc it hurts when I do this". Then don't do that!!
I have xp Home and after a year with Me it is like heaven. I have no other experience and have to wonder if I am missing something because I have never had need to press those three keys. System restore is my fix for almost everything too.

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
Right on..............XP took a little getting used to, but it has it all over any earlier version. and I have had them all.............ME, 2000, 1998, 1995, 3.1, dos..........................................back in the stone age....(1987)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Naaa..

For PC's Win 98SE is the best and most stable. After that I think DOS is the best.

XP... what can I say about XP.....

Xtra Piece Of S*? (XP-OS) :thumbup:

LONG LIVE SYSTEM 7!!!

XP always seems to crash, run slower than a slug on prozac, have funny little errors and glitches, and it doesnt seem to be able to run alot of older software.

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
i agreee with 87442 on 98 being pretty stable, it runs best on my pc out of all the o.s's i have and Mellenium edition is right on its butt a little buggy but its great. i havemost of em (win 3.11 win 95 win 98 win me win 2k win xp pro) :D

Your problem with the little blue tasker bar dissapearing sounds like a virus i had when i was running xp, except it did it on most windows i opened. Use a anti virus scan to find anyvirus's...theres a good free online scan called housecall at www.antivirus.com if your dont have a scanner. also do a spyware check but mostly it sounds like the doings of a virus.

xp gets on my nerves it doesnt want you to be able to do anything good too much bull gates monopoly i control you bullcrap in it.

'scuse me i must finish diz beer while browsing the lingere section have a good one dudes.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
To go back to normal mode, just double-click a blank space in the border. ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know a lot of guys don't like xp because of all the licensing bs. The guy who built my computer was all a 98 man wnen I was shopping but by the time I got mine built he had decided that xp was better because there was some new stuff 98 couldn't digest as easily or something.

·
Registered
864 Posts
XP is better than any other versions of windows.

I myself am a computer programmer, studied and used 95,98, 98SE, 2000, ME, NT and XP

XP is the king in all regards, stability, security, file management, nothing can compare other than NT, which had poor program support.

you want a real operating system, give redhat a try :p

4 Jaw Chuck is correct in getting it back to as it was.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Windows 98...stable?
How about when you plug in a PS/2 or USB device? I guarantee you have gotten frozen there at least a few times.

To answer a few things I see on this post... lets start with SP2 not installing right... fact is, you will need to clear boot and format your hard drive for SP2 to do any good (see microsofts website)

Second - that little glich you got in your keyboard....ain't your keyboard. It's software...the Keyboard does not tell your computer to put the blue line with the X at the top. Could be a virus, could be spyware, hell - it could be a bad registry command...

The answer for all Windows stuff...FORMAT AND REINSTALL every 6 months. And - Windows XP has a remarkable system that Windows 98 will never have....NTFS.

87442 - I can't believe you would say 98 is better. There is a reason why it's 98 edition.... Comon man.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I like Windows 98 much better than XP. I'm dealing with the XP/Outlook Express password issues. I hate that suck * XP feature that clumps the all web sites or instant message windows have open into one group.

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
It's been my experience that any even numbered Microsoft service pack is bad. Only install the odd numbered ones. Myth has it that the first SP is ready for distribution at the time the the new version is released. The second SP fixes things and adds new things that screw up old things. The third SP fixes the things the second SP screwed up but doesn't add any new things....

Solaris is my favorite, it works.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
I like Windows 98 much better than XP. I'm dealing with the XP/Outlook Express password issues. I hate that suck * XP feature that clumps the all web sites or instant message windows have open into one group.
Ghetto, right click on start, click properties, click the taskbar tab and uncheck "group similar taskbar buttons" and it will no longer group them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
4 Jaw Chuck has it right... You are in what is called 'Tiny Footprint Mode'. Doubt if it has anything to do with cleaning your keyboard since you toggle between modes by (1) when in normal mode, placing the cursor in the empty space around the tabs and 2click and (2) when in Tiny Footprint Mode, placing the cursor in any part of the outside border and 2click.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts