Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, in the Control Panel, I'm in add/remove programs, cleaning up my hard drive.

There's some listed programs there that when I click to install/uninstall (they're loaded, but I deleted them before installing), it says "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file" and other stupid things like that. Since the program is deleted off the hard drive, why is it still there?

How can I remove them? AAGH! Bill Gates I'm gouing to sue you for a few billion for "damages" caused by "excessive stress endured trying to solve computer problems".

hey, I'd have a new 390HP SSR 6-speed for everyday summer, a few old musclecars for weekends summer, and can't forget the 66 GTO tri-power droptop to attract the girls at the beach away from the imports "tuned" with a fart pipe and stickers.

For winter- AMC Jeep of some sort, prolly a 360 built for torque under the hood.:cool:

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Depending on how you deleted the programs...if you just deleted them before going into the "Add / Remove" then what you might have to do is reinstall the program (it will over write the old, then go into the "Add / Remove" and delete it that way. When you do it the other way it dumps the program then lets you remove.

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 Jaw Chuck said:
the programs are deleted, but they show up in the add/remove programs window. So, when I click on that and click "remove", it cant find the uninstallation files.

thanks for your help though.:)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You cant just delete a program:smash: most of them come with the "uninstall" option. That would be the preferable way to do it. If you just right click on it and "delete" that's a big mistake. I used to do it all the time.........

Mike

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
What Nightfire said and what I was trying to say. The complete program has to be there to "Remove" it. If you go to a folder and either drag it to the trash can or right click delete. it will not remove it all. That is the way the program is written. Now if you removed it correctly or think you did, In the "Control Panel" and in the "Add / Remove" file, "right click" on what you want removed and delete without clicking on the "Remove" button. Sometimes (very rarely) it is just the name of the file that is left in there and you can "right click, delete.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another way is to click search, find folders.
Enter what you are trying to delete.
When it is found, delete it from there.:smash: :smash: :smash:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The reason you can't just delete it is because all windows programs make entries into the registry. They also distribute their directory structures to other directories than the main one in many cases.

The uninstall or remove option makes an attempt at trying to remove all of the registry entries as well as finding all of the directories.

Don't go looking through your registry and try to delete things though unless you know what you're doing. You'll find yourself reloading everything.

Wally

·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used system restore, thanks guys.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts