Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding mounting my windshiled. On my project, I am making a wimdshileld frame, out of fiberglass, to mount a VW air cooled Bug windshield. My question is this. On the original windshield mounting, it is held in the Bug frame with what I call a "stepped", rubber, weatherstrip. Can I mount to windshield to my frame by using adhesive, instead of the rubber molding/seal? If so, what adhesive is recommended?

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
That would be called a bedded glass conversion and use urethane windshield adhesive. Using a fiberglass windshield frame sounds kinda sketchy to me but I fix wrecks and such.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That would be called a bedded glass conversion and use urethane windshield adhesive. Using a fiberglass windshield frame sounds kinda sketchy to me but I fix wrecks and such.
Thanks, but why do you say using a fiberglass windshield frame Actually part of the fiberglass body, sound kinda sketchy to you. The whole body is fiberglass and the windshield "frame" is part of the body. Just askin'

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
If the body is fiberglass, thats all you've got. Its not as good as metal, for a windshield bed. So I wouldn't choose it for that. You just said "my project". And you called it a windshield frame which I envision as being a freestanding item as in on hot rods.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the body is fiberglass, thats all you've got. Its not as good as metal, for a windshield bed. So I wouldn't choose it for that. You just said "my project". And you called it a windshield frame which I envision as being a freestanding item as in on hot rods.
Hi again. I am sorry that I did not make that clear on my original post. My fault. I guess that what you thought I was saying was I would make a fiberglass windshield frame that would be attached to a metal body. And in response to your statement of fiberglass, not as good as metal, how many years have fiberglass Corvettes been around? About 68 years now

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
with rubber seals typically the "wimdshileld" is smaller than the opening
the bonded "wimdshileld" overlap the opening an inch or more
if you are using a stock windshield, you'll need to undersize the hole or cut a new windshield

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with rubber seals typically the "wimdshileld" is smaller than the opening
the bonded "wimdshileld" overlap the opening an inch or more
if you are using a stock windshield, you'll need to undersize the hole or cut a new windshield
I am using a stock air cooled VW Bug windshield. Being I am making a fiberglass windshield mounting area ( which is part of the body, I may add) I realize I will have to make the opening, larger than the glass. That's not a problem. Same as if I were to use the rubber molding. The opening would even have to be larger than the windshield, to compensate for the thickness of the rubber. Just thought it would be easier and look better, to glue the windshield in to the opening

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts
I realize I will have to make the opening, larger than the glass. That's not a problem. Same as if I were to use the rubber molding.
i'm not following you. if you glue the windshield in the opening will need to be smaller than the glass. a minimum of 2 inches smaller. i agree that it will look better to glue in the windshield, but you will have a lot less glass to look thru. i believe my 09 gmc truk has a 2" flange around the glass, aka 4 inches smaller than the glass

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm not following you. if you glue the windshield in the opening will need to be smaller than the glass. a minimum of 2 inches smaller. i agree that it will look better to glue in the windshield, but you will have a lot less glass to look thru. i believe my 09 gmc truk has a 2" flange around the glass, aka 4 inches smaller than the glass
We may be talking two different areas. What I mean is this. I am using some hypothetical numbers, so bear with me. Lets say that the windshield is 36" wide x 18" tall. My initial opening I would make (to install the glass from the front of the car) would be 37" wide x 19" tall. Then, if I have a lip, let's say 1" in from the opening, all around, I would make that lip 1" smaller all around than the size of the glass. So, the opening for that lip would be 35" wide x 17" tall. that way, the glass would be glued to the lip. As I said, these are all hypothetical numbers. Hope this makes some sense

·
More for Less Racer
20,947 Posts
Corvette have what is called a "birdcage", made of metal, supporting all that fiberglass in various areas....it's not just a fiberglass tub on a set of frame rails. Door opening at hinge and striker, windshield frame, dash undercarraige, tail section, etc..

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Corvette have what is called a "birdcage", made of metal, supporting all that fiberglass in various areas....it's not just a fiberglass tub on a set of frame rails. Door opening at hinge and striker, windshield frame, dash undercarraige, tail section, etc..
Thanks so much for that information. That is a big help

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
To the best of my current knowledge, bedded aftermarket glass installers prefer bare steel as a substrate. They use a special primer on glass and bed, for maximum bond strength with the urethane adhesive. There are even some rules / guidelines for insurance work within the collision repair industry about whether epoxy primer can be on a glass bed.

Because if the windshield is only stuck as good as paint, it might jettison in a wreck and not provide the structural support it is designed to. Now, in light of that news, consider the fiberglass vs metal case knowing as we all do about the porous nature of fiberglass and other polyester products. If a guy was to hunt around, I don't believe he would find any OE design not using a metal windshield bed.

There was some C5 body stuff included in some GM training I did years ago and that birdcage, by then, was pieced together from a few different special metals. I don't know if anybody ever even used aluminum instead of steel there though. I built a Model A coupe chopped windshield bed not long ago and it ended up being a single layer of 18 ga. CRS but I would prefer two, or a 16 ga inner and 20 ga outer. Just my .02 on that, and I'm just one person.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts