Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my front windshield and rear window trim clips are rusted and the screws that mount them have no heads left. (The lower channel ones are the worst)

Now I realize I can drill them out, but has anyone tried to lubricate these in the past and then weld a bead on them to try and get a small vice grip on to turn ?

These clips are pretty much in the channel nestled next to the windshield itself. (Windshield is out)

If I drill them out, do you then mark the hole and re weld it closed then grind it and re drill the mouting hole so it accepts the proper trim screw ?

Kinda out in left field on this one...... actually way out in left on the warnig track !

:eek:

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Grind them off, weld any holes shut if necessary, but drill the new screw holes 3/16-1/4" away from the old holes into good metal. You can move the location of these clips slightly like this with no problems, just as long as you don't move one too close to where a curved trim section starts. You don't want to be trying to hook a clip to the trim where it is curved, it won't grab right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.