Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiper arms and wipers on my truck work well, but the rubber is old ... how can I replace the rubber??? Everyplace I see sells the wipers with all the metal parts, etc.

Also, the arms and wiper parts are old and dingy looking ... so I'd LIKE to replace them with chromes, BUT they are :
1) VERY well made
2) Have adjustable arm lengths - which I need because, for some reason, the right arm needs to be about 3/8" shorter than the left!
3) They measure 16 3/4" head to toe (hinge straight & flat - with wiper on) ... 16" from head to hinge ... and the wipers are 12" -- I cant find anything new to replace them with!

Anyone else have this problem?

PS - I bought a set of arms and wipers from Golden State Parts in Nevada ... they sent me the wrong sizes 2 times and then after finally getting the right size they were such poor quality I couldn't believe it -- one arm BENT when the wiper hit the top window molding and when I tried to straighten the arm back it just broke off! Then I realized I needed adjustable arms. But I'll surely never buy anything from that outfit again!

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: horvath ]</p>

·
Registered
369 Posts
might try rb's auto <a href="http://www.rbsauto.com" target="_blank">www.rbsauto.com</a> they sell mostly chevy parts. there number is 1-800-426-6607
There out of Edmonds Washington

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just looked in there catalog. They have have the 15" blade and the 12" blade for 15.00 each. They also have a wiper motor 2 sp 143.00 The they sell and wiper mtor replacement for 54 to 55 170.00 If you call it's on page 310

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, awsum34.

I installed a new electric wiper conversion kit already - the old was was vacume powered! And, man, did it ever make me laugh!
:D

That's a good idea - I'll call RB's tomorrow and see what they say. I NEED adjustable arms ... so if I can't get those, then I need to see if I can get rubber replacements for the wipers I have.

Alan

·
Registered
369 Posts
What you really need is the street rodders best friend. Rain X. I put that on my street rod. and i have never used my wipers yet. But there on there if i have to.

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Rain-X is THAT good, huh?

Thanks, man. These wipers work pretty good ... I'm just anal about everything. Rain-X will at least save them from further wear until I can get replacement blades.

And, as far as looks go, I can always paint the metal parts, eh?

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: horvath ]</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might try www.chevyduty.com the left arm #67-113 right arm #67-114 for $11.95 + tax as for the wiper blades . I got this off the chevytruck.org there is a napa part #60-1233 thats should fit for $9.00 this guy gones and says that you can go to any store and get the Anco 22 inch narrow refills.
You will need to take the metal strip out of the old wiper blade and reuse it . Take the old rubber put it next to the refill blade and cut it to the same size as the old on then slip the metal back in and you are good to go.
I have not tryed this yet still in the rebuild stage on mine. I was also at the slavage yard met some old boys that have a 53 and a 51 trucks they said that the moter out of a 63 -72 chevy three wire are to be the same as the one in the 54 bolt pattern.
I bought this book called "chevrolet pickup patrs interchange manual 67 -78" they say that 67-70 pickups & blazer are the one that have the three wire motors in them good luck. let me know if the wiper motor works i'm looking for one now.

walldo

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the first things I did when I got my truck was to buy an electric wiper conversion kit. It works great.

I found wipers (the rubber part) that work perfectly -- at Wal-Mart! You don't have to take the old metal strip out of the old wiper blade, or anything like that -- you just cut these to length and slide 'em in! : Pylon Standard Refill #1025 They only cost $2.50 for a pair, too!
:thumbup:

I finally found new wiper arms, etc. that installed and work perfectly -- got 'em from RB's Auto ... they were costly, but well worth it because the quality was top shelf and they look great! I bought "54 Chevy Pickup" replacements for a lot less money prior to this, but they didn't fit right, and they were flimsy -- I bent one by mistake, just trying to remove/install the wiper part -- I wound up throwing them in the trash!

Rain-X is definitely cool ... but I wish it would last longer!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts