Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so it's getting cold soon up here and I dont have a heated garage. I have all my tools in the garage though and up here it gets up to -40ºC (-30 Faehrenheit) in the Wintertime. Should I bring all my wrenches, sockets, my grinder and my welder in for the Winter time. Will the cold affect the welder at all?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Tool Storage

Cold won't hurt moisture will..so what ever you do keep the tools dry..:thumbup:

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I agree about the moisture. I try to give the less-used tools a quick WD-40 spray and wipe. We don't get as cold as you do...thank God. I can still work some parts of the Winter.

I also transfer all the electrical "stuff" to the basement, along with car wax and some of the rattle can products.

·
mad cow-it's whats for dinner
9 Posts
-40 C = -40 F. (honest)
I don't know about Winterpeg but moisture is not a big issue in Alberta -this has to be one of the driest places on earth in the winter. Your tools etc should be OK but as stated I would take the cleaning products and paint that could freeze inside.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright so I'm leaving my wrenches outside and the rest of my tools outside except the welder and the grinder.

Mike

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
I am hijacking this thread.

MI2600 said:
I agree about the moisture. I try to give the less-used tools a quick WD-40 spray and wipe. We don't get as cold as you do...thank God. I can still work some parts of the Winter.

I also transfer all the electrical "stuff" to the basement, along with car wax and some of the rattle can products.
I live in Grand Rapids (the suburbs on the southeast side), about 40 miles from ya. Cool.:)

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
Why not install a heater? I'd hate to move things in doors for the winter and back out in the spring. Reminds me of every year when I go to set up the christmas tree

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm leaving my rattle can products outside, bringing my welder and my grinder, drill inside for the winter. My wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers and what not I'm leaving outside hanging on the board.

Move to warmer climate?

:D tell ya what adtkart, you pay for my ticket and rent me an apartment down there and I can asure you that I'll be at your airport waiting to be picked up from you in no time:D

Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Heating was suggested. I can tell you from experience that you do not want to try and heat an uninsulated garage. I tried it for a while last winter and it is expensive and almost impossible. I'm adding a storage building and, as soon as I get all the junk out of the garage, I'm going to start finishing the garage with bats in the walls and a thick blown-in blanket in the attic. I already chose insulated doors when I had to replace them a year ago. My goal is to be able to keep it slightly above freezing without sending all my income to the power company. Most of my vehicles are not sensible enough to wait for the spring thaw to break down so I need a space that can be used when there is all that white stuff on the ground outside (like fell last night. winter has arrived in Denver)

·
Administrator
18,428 Posts
Bring the paint in...

Cold won't hurt your tools..............just don't put your tongue on them.....................

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
Nightfire said:
I'm leaving my rattle can products outside, bringing my welder and my grinder, drill inside for the winter. My wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers and what not I'm leaving outside hanging on the board.

Mike
My welder has been left in my garage ( unheated) since I bought it. It still performs and looks like new. Actually, I never thought of taking it inside as I use it a lot year round.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Take your tools inside, the freeze thaw cycling in the fall and spring will create condensate inside the tool box leading to rust. If you can't bring them inside get some dessicant bags and put one in each drawer, you can buy it at crappy tire...it's called Sorb-All and comes in a large white bag about 10 pds. Repackage the stuff in the bag in a double wrapped cheesecloth square and twist tie it shut.

To reenergize the stuff, stick it in the oven at a low temp (<350F) to drive out the moisture and it's good for another year of tool box duty.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Worked all day

In my garage and I needed heat I start off in the am for .5 hrs with an Oil hot air furnace to get the chill off while i build a fire in my wood stove. I circulate the heat with fans around the garage where i need it.. the walls are insulated but not the ceiling, next year i will lower the ceiling to 8 ft its 10 ft now. I can work all winter in my garage as it is now but I will make it better. New England winters are cruel

·
6,734 Posts
Nightfire said:
Alright so it's getting cold soon up here and I dont have a heated garage. I have all my tools in the garage though and up here it gets up to -40ºC (-30 Faehrenheit) in the Wintertime. Should I bring all my wrenches, sockets, my grinder and my welder in for the Winter time. Will the cold affect the welder at all?

Thanks,

Mike

-40 Celsius is the same as -40 Fahrenheit, by the way.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Pick up an old refrigerator to put your stuff in that you don't want to leave it in the cod and wire in a 100 watt light bulb in it and leave it on24/7.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Nightfire said:
10-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I wonder if it is as cold as it was 7 years ago, lol! Some good tips, however.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts